Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

biostar nm70i-1037u

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

good evening to all

please i wish to have your comments on the biostar nm70i-1027 with an on board processor

i am looking to build a third pc just for audio recording and edit

i still have all ready my little celeron g530 and my old amd athlon64 3200+ but i am thinking to network those two pc's together for video rendering and keep the biostar only for audio and internet

please, let me ask few things regarding this biostar motherboard/cpu

can i install this motherboard in my old cooler master series 330 case ?

what is the expected perfomance of the cpu and vga graphics compared to my g530 cpu and my asus p8h61m-le motherboard

what is the expected cpu lifespan

what about the cpu temperatures and if i can use a better cpu cooler (s1155/s1156 ?)

yes, i know that the performance of that motherboard and cpu is not really great but i am sure that it will be much better than my athlon64 3200+

many thanks in advance

Edited by nickko, 10 April 2014 - 01:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

I've got no personal experience of the item in question, so just commenting based on the specs I can see on the internet.

good evening to all

please i wish to have your comments on the biostar nm70i-1027 with an on board processor

i am looking to build a third pc just for audio recording and edit

i still have all ready my little celeron g530 and my old amd athlon64 3200+ but i am thinking to network those two pc's together for video rendering and keep the biostar only for audio and internet

please, let me ask few things regarding this biostar motherboard/cpu

can i install this motherboard in my old cooler master series 330 case ?

The Biostar is a Mini ITX form factor motherboard.  The specs for the Elite 330 case list ATX and Micro ATX as the supported form factors.  Mini ITX is not listed.  My assumption would therefore be that the board will not fit in that case.

what is the expected perfomance of the cpu and vga graphics compared to my g530 cpu and my asus p8h61m-le motherboard

CPU performance appears to be a little slower (about 10-15% slower) than the G530.  Benchmarked performance comparison here and comparison of features here.  It's a low power part (TDP is only 17 watts) for small computers and portables, and it's a fair bit slower than current desktop Celerons like the G1830.  It's in a BGA type socket (soldered to the board) so is non replaceable.  Video performance should be pretty much the same as the G530.  They both have basic Intel HD Graphics with similar specifications, capable of running at up to 1 Ghz.

what is the expected cpu lifespan

It should work for several years, probably the capacitors on the motherboard will fail before the CPU does!

what about the cpu temperatures and if i can use a better cpu cooler (s1155/s1156 ?)

Coolers meant for socketed CPU's are not compatible with that type of processor (to the best of my knowledge).  The thermal limit for the chip is 105 degrees.  I would have thought the cooler supplied should be adequate, given that it is a low power processor.

yes, i know that the performance of that motherboard and cpu is not really great but i am sure that it will be much better than my athlon64 3200+

Yes it would be better than that, as that CPU is very old.

many thanks in advance

Given that you will likely need a new ITX compatible case to fit this motherboard, I would look into whether an alternative using an M-ATX form factor would be suitable. For example - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1PwNW   Note it's a Pentium G3220 as I thought that gives the best bang for buck (it's around 80% faster than the low power Celeron, and moderately faster than the current desktop Celeron's) but the Celeron G1820 is slightly cheaper if really penny pinching (£6 less than the G3220 in the UK).

Edited by jonuk76, 12 April 2014 - 07:49 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

good afternoon dear jonuk76 and many many many thanks for your very detailed reply !!!!!

i have to say that i fully appreciate this

yes, i fully agree with all that you have said and the difference in money is so little if i buy a cpu and a cheap motherboard

the point with this biostar motherboard and or any similar motherboard like the gigabyte ga-c1037un is that have a really very low power consumption and the cpu temp is relatively low

a good choice for me is the new amd series socket am1 like the 5350 which is a four core but again i think intel is a little bit better choice

a good choice for me also is the g2130 with the asus b75 plus, the options are really many so i have to search a lot before decide

happy easter and many thanks gain

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

Thank you :)  I'm glad I was able to help. 

If the low power consumption is a major factor then these motherboards bundled with mobile processors can be an attractive option.  As long as it's not an Atom processor, as these were IMO poor performers (haven't looked at a newer one, but I have an Acer Aspire from a few years ago which is Intel Atom based, and it is too slow).  Even the current desktop chips are relatively power efficient though - not as much as the mobile processors, but not bad.  Intel Haswell based CPU's (like the G3220 or G1820) clock down to 800mhz and reduce voltage requirements when not under load, so the power draw is going to be minimal for most people most of the time.  Compared to something like the old AMD64 systems which ran at full speed, all the time I suspect real power draw will be lower.  I've seen comments claiming average 30w or so power draw (measured at the wall plug) on HTPC systems using Haswell chips.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users