Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update deletes stored passwords

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 manfred99

manfred99

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and Internet Explorer 11. When Windows Update runs, it frequently deletes some of my stored passwords. How do I prevent that from happening?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

I don't know why that happens, however, I'd advise you to use a password manager (Lastpass and Keepass) instead of storing your password in a browser.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

Like Agouti, I don't know why that should happen, but keeping passwords in clear text on your computer is lousy security. Yes it's your computer and you can do what you want with it, but . . .

If you don't want to use either Lastpass or Keepass, because both of them require password access, and then keeping those passwords on your computer sort of negates the point of using them, you could try keeping them in a text file on a spare memory stick. When you need the password, connect the stick to the computer, open the file, copy / paste the password you want into the application asking for it. This even has the advantage of eliminating typing errors and getting those 'Incorrect password' messages.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 aztony

aztony

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

I agree with the other commenters, storing passwords in your browser these days is a hazard you don't need. A password manager is the way to go to ensure the best security for your passwords.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

IE 11 and Firefox both have a password manager that is locked out by a master password. The database is AES 256 & stored in the User profile. It's safe to use.

Edited by technonymous, 13 April 2014 - 03:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users