Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deeply weird problem w/ HP6100 printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

If you can solve this one, you're a hardware genius.

I tried to print a perfectly ordinary web page (from my credit card account) on my HP Officejet 6100 printer., and I got some sort of error message.

Then, I heard all sorts of ordinary operating noises from the printer:  the carriage going back and forth, and the paper feed trying to feed a sheet.  But no paper was feeding, and there certainly was no jam.

I tried to shut the printer off with the on/off button, but could not.  So I instinctively disconnected the power cord and plugged it in again an hour later.  No change.

I then disconnected the power cord AND the printer cable, then re-connected just the power cord.  Same thing.

And here's other interesting data:  I connected a different HP 6100 printer to my computer, tried to print the same thing--and got the same result!

I've tried pressing (and holding) each of the buttons when I power this printer up, but that has no effect.

IOW, there is something in some memory in this printer that has gone berserk.  It is like the printer is trying to re-set itself, but with no success.  Remember, this happens even when the printer is not connected to any computer.

HELP!!!!!  What is going on here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Try a partial hard reset as listed here 

Press and hold # and 3 while plugging in the power cord.

Note: For models that are not fax capable, press Plus (+ ) instead of # .

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

That may cure the problem until you try to print again.  At that point it becomes a driver fault.

#4 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

JohnC_21:  This is a very plain Officejet 6100.  The only function it does is print.  It does not have a " #" button.

I think the driver is OK.  I installed this printer some months ago and it has worked perfectly fine until I tried to print my statement.

But even more important, I doubt that the driver is the issue because now there is something in the printer itself that is causing a problem--since it does this odd behavior even if I power it up and it is not connected.   This printer simply does not want to be re-set.

What could be causing the printer to function in this way even if it not connected to the computer?

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

The ink jets have a bad habit of spitting ink all over itself.  It has a wiper blade near the home/reset position.  When the thing gets gummed up, it won't allow the carriage to move properly during the start up initialization routine.  It will try to clear itself as most carriage jams are from a page stuck in the gap so it will try to advance or reverse the paper rollers, looking for a change in the sensors to clear the fault.  Try moving the carriage away from the side and look under the reset/home position for the small ink collection areas.  Cleaning is best with paper towel at first for the nastiest stuff and alcohol and cotton swabs to get all the sensors and clearance areas clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users