Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a Flat Screen. That can do this stuff-

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

I've looked everywhere for the past week for a flat screen to fit these specs. I gota say that no one has a proper T.V. search tool. A lot of the manufacturer site don't give views of the back of the TV's and like to hide actual spec info. A lot of general tech sites give very incomplete information of  T.V.'s in general. T.V. reviewers don't actually seem to cover any of the stuff I care about- raw specs to price.  I was going to post in game consoles but this section is way more active and I guess this could go in either.

I need a TV that I can hook all of my older consoles up to via S-video since that's the best connection for them without modification to the system. N-64, SNES, Genisis, ect all have S-video as the best connection without modification. I also I need it for use with newer stuff like the PS3 and the desktop that use HDMI without scaling down or converting their signals.

Specs-

1080P

60Hrz or higher refresh rate

Digital Component

S-Video

HDMI- 2 or more

Separate L/R Audio for Component/S-video

Optical Audio IN (if that's even a thing for TV's)

Not a smart TV

Under 300$ (preferably)

Coaxial

Image stretcher in options to stretch, fill, or otherwise make a 4:3 image better fit the entire screen. (not automatic, some stuff needs to stay un-stretched)

32" (preferably) not smaller then a 24"

Other picture quality options do not matter to me. Other inputs are a bonus, but don't matter to me. I have brand preferences to VIZIO and Samsung, but doesn't matter if it meets those Specs.  

In the future I have plans for a CRT RGB PerfectFlat® TV/Monitor to use with just the older stuff. So till then just the best stock quality for everything.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'm thinking that the S-Video is going to be an issue.  You might want to consider a S-Video to HDMI Converter.  I was originally going to suggest a home theater receiver, but it doesn't look like any of them come with S-Video inputs.

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

I'm thinking that the S-Video is going to be an issue.  You might want to consider a S-Video to HDMI Converter.  I was originally going to suggest a home theater receiver, but it doesn't look like any of them come with S-Video inputs.

Nice, will look into that. I still need a T.V. though. My monitors are 1920x1200 so I can't just use them. Plus they don't have Coaxial, Digital Component, or image stretching settings to better fit stuff.

List of my currently available monitors.

2x 1920x1200 24" (I like 16x10 for computers)

2x 1400x900 19"

1x 1680x1050 22"

So I can't just use them, cause non-standard resolutions and all.

T.V. suggestions? I like Sony to but $$$.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Sorry I'm no help on televisions suggestions.  I use a projector with a 92" screen.  The solution I used for video consoles was a home theater receiver.  I had a Wii and PS2 connected at one time, now it is just a Windows 8 PC.

Edited by RKilroy, 11 April 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

You have a number of things that will be tough to find.

As noted, s-video is getting rather difficult to find on TVs these days. You might be able to find it, but likely not with all the other things on your wish list.

The other issue is wanting a 32" TV with 1080p. The reality is that most 32" LCD HDTVs will be 720p. Don't get me wrong, you can find 1080p on 32in TVs, but they will be the exception. That is because of the fact that for how most people will use a 32in TV, 1080p will be a waste of money (i.e. they will be sitting too far away from the TV to notice the difference between 1080p and 720p…assuming they are actually watching a BluRay DVD since broadcast TV is not 1080p anyway…AND because most people are likely not going to use it as a computer monitor).

In addition, wanting to keep it under $300 might also limit your options.

And I am not sure if you will be able to find a digital audio in…digital audio OUT, yes. My rather somewhat high end 46" SmartTV does not have a digital audio in (or an s-video).

FWIW, I do have an older 32" LCD HDTV in my bedroom (about 4 years old or so). It is neither 1080p nor does it have either digital audio in or s-video. And at the time, it did not cost anywhere close to $300 (prices have come down quite a bit since then).

So, probably you are going to have to make use of an adapter/converter for the s-video and slight adjust your expectations for a few of the other items on the wish list.

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

You have a number of things that will be tough to find.

As noted, s-video is getting rather difficult to find on TVs these days. You might be able to find it, but likely not with all the other things on your wish list.

The other issue is wanting a 32" TV with 1080p. The reality is that most 32" LCD HDTVs will be 720p. Don't get me wrong, you can find 1080p on 32in TVs, but they will be the exception. That is because of the fact that for how most people will use a 32in TV, 1080p will be a waste of money (i.e. they will be sitting too far away from the TV to notice the difference between 1080p and 720p…assuming they are actually watching a BluRay DVD since broadcast TV is not 1080p anyway…AND because most people are likely not going to use it as a computer monitor).

In addition, wanting to keep it under $300 might also limit your options.

And I am not sure if you will be able to find a digital audio in…digital audio OUT, yes. My rather somewhat high end 46" SmartTV does not have a digital audio in (or an s-video).

FWIW, I do have an older 32" LCD HDTV in my bedroom (about 4 years old or so). It is neither 1080p nor does it have either digital audio in or s-video. And at the time, it did not cost anywhere close to $300 (prices have come down quite a bit since then).

So, probably you are going to have to make use of an adapter/converter for the s-video and slight adjust your expectations for a few of the other items on the wish list.

Guess I'm going to have to get an adapter if I want to use S-video. Having the same dilemma with S-video I had with analog RGB. Only way to get it stock with the other stuff is to get one of those 1080i projection screens from 2002-ish (they're like 350$ used now)  hmmm.

As for price and size

Samsung TV. 1080p 32" 60Hrz 270$

Also- 39" 4k 120Hrz TV 500$

So... stuff changed I guess.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

As for price and size
Samsung TV. 1080p 32" 60Hrz 270$

Also- 39" 4k 120Hrz TV 500$

So... stuff changed I guess.

I never said you could not find a 1080p 32" HDTV even for less than $300...I just said "they would be the exception" rather than the rule.

I will note that the 32" 1080p that you linked to is "out of stock" with no indication whether it will be back in stock.

FWIW, here is a Samsung 32" 1080p for just over $300 (and in stock):

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH5300-32-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B0074FGNJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397604970&sr=8-1&keywords=32+1080p+hdtv

Here is another Samsung just right at $300:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH5000-32-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0071O4ETQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397605096&sr=8-2&keywords=32+1080p+hdtv

And a Toshiba that is just under $300:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-32L2400U-32-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00I0S70C0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397605096&sr=8-3&keywords=32+1080p+hdtv

My point was that you will more commonly find 32" TVs to be 720p in my experience, but if you look hard enough (typically mainly online), you can find 1080p versions. I will note that if you are using like a TV (i.e. sitting at more of a TV distance of at least 5 or 6 feet if not a greater distance), then you will never notice the difference between 720p and 1080p (assuming you are even "playing" the content at 1080p).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users