Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu 100% Caused By Faulty Network Driver?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bravestarr5

bravestarr5

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:58 AM

With my cpu and page file being maxxed out just after booting up, I used SYSInternals ProcessManager and found out that it wasn't explorer.exe that was using up all the processors resources but DPC's. This process jumped from 20% - 100% every 3/4 seconds. So 50% of the time the cpu is at 100%. This made my PC VERY sluggish when doing ANYTHING.
I learned the symptoms my pc had looked like a broken driver, and so I did another search for DPCs causing problems and got a microsoft.com link all about them. Here it is: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/netwo...IS/NDISdrv.mspx
I realise now that it was for developers etc but it seemed like it was still alone the right lines.
It said they might be set up to initialize a driver before the actual file is ready to be operated and that this value could be changed to wait several seconds before trying to start anything. NDIS is the one in question. I think this may be it!
I also found that NDIS is network related so as I am connected to AOL via a BT voyager 100 ADSL usb modem this could be it. AOL recently sent out an update for the broadband modems and I had no choice but to install it. I have had to constantly reinstall drivers for it as well as my audio and my graphics. Is there a fix for NDIS driver problems? My graphics is updated by firmware and my audio driver NEEDS the update from the manf. website, as the one on the disc doesn't help.
So what choices do I have?
I hope this is enough info for you guys.
I'm also registered on VirtualDR and have posted my HijackThis log file and a startup summary and I've been told that it's okay.
I've deselected ALL my startup items and it makes no difference to the pc's performance.
I've ran every spyware/virus scan, used scandisk on my HDDs and defragged both drives.
The PC is fine in Safe Mode.

I'm >< this close to reinstalling XP but this will probably cause more harm than good.

I know I waffle a bit but hey that's me.

thanx 4 any help u got

I am running:

Microsoft XP Home SP2,
K7S5a Pro Mainboard,
AMD Athlon XP 2400+,
256MB SDRAM,
nVidia 64MB GeForce4 440 MX
AOL 9.0 via BT Voyager 100 ADSL usb modem,
Adaware 6 and Spybot S&D, Microsoft Anti-spyware Beta and AVG 7,
NEC DVDRW +/- Dual Layer
20GB Maxtor HDD,
80GB Maxtor HDD

Edited by bravestarr5, 19 May 2006 - 03:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

I have found out several times that the Microsoft Anti-spyware caused my machine to run slowly. As soon as I deleted the app everything went back to normal.

Keep in mind that Adaware and Spybot are not active programs, that is, they must be run by you and do not provide real-time protection the way that AVG antivirus does. I suggest also installing SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard and Startup Inspector. They run in the background and cause no slowdowns that I can notice.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:09 PM

OK you say your HJT shows ok and that your computer runs really good in Safe Mode. If it is running OK in Safe Mode it is more than likely due to a driver problem somewhere. When Safe Mode loads it omits a lot of the drivers that are normally loaded. One way to check and see if it is any of the network drivers is to boot into Safe Mode With Networking and see how it runs and if you get on the Internet.

Also I see this: AOL 9.0 via BT Voyager 100 ADSL usb modem,

It starts with AOL 9.0 - do you use AOL 9.0 for Internet service? If so I suggest trying this - just to check uninstall AOL and see if the computer runs any better. You can always re-install AOL.

I would suggest posting your HJT log file here at BC. Just to double check the results. For convenience here is the procedure.

Please read this guide before actually doing the procedure
And it has all of the links for downloads you need.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

#4 bravestarr5

bravestarr5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

Thanx for the tip ThorXP, uninstalling AOL fixed the problem! I didn't uninstall the modem though, so I'm guessing the Deferred Procedure Call must've been making a call to the AOL software to start the modem driver. If this is the case it makes perfect sense that AOL and not the modem was causing the problem.

But now I've reinstalled the AOL software my PC is back to it's sluggish state. With the CPU at 100% again cause the DPCs are doing what they do.

So what options do I have?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:44 AM

Drop Aol in favor of another isp is one solution or call their support as they must run into this often.

#6 bravestarr5

bravestarr5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:28 AM

Just to let you all know I've taken the easy option and reinstalled XP. I would've rather have fixed the problem but what can I do? It's been 4 weeks without a PC (well, as good as).

So thanx for all your help, you'll be seeing me again, I expect :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users