Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ViewTube For Greasemonkey.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:33 AM

This script make possible viewing videos on video websites with a classic video plugin or with the HTML5 video player.

License:
-> This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIVWyLFNGsU

ViewTube is a JavaScript application that allows viewing videos from video sharing web sites without needing to install Adobe Flash Player. ViewTube removes the embedded Flash content, searches on the video page for videos and embeds them in the classic way. Videos can be watched with a video plugin or with HTML5's video player. A download option is also available.

Site: http://isebaro.com/viewtube/?ln=en

Source.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87011

Edited by NickAu1, 10 April 2014 - 03:17 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

It's not ready for prime time. Would be too frustrating to use...my opinion.

Limitations & Issues:
-> If the script doesn't work as supposed to, reinstall it or/and clear browser cache/cookies.
-> If the script doesn't load, refresh the video page.
-> If a related video is open in the same page by replacing the current video, the script doesn't work. Try to refresh the page or open related videos in new tabs/windows.
-> On some sites there are videos embedded from an external source/site. The script doesn't work for these videos, but for some sites the script shows a link to the original video page.
-> The script doesn't support playlists but you can watch each video from the playlist if you open it in a new tab/window.
-> Embedded videos from these sites are not supported but I've made the LinkTube script that replaces the embedded videos with a link to the video page.
-> Some YouTube videos have parts of the video URL encrypted and the encryption algorithm changes often. For some browsers/extensions the script decrypts the signature automatically. For the other extensions I'll try to update the script when the algorithm changes.
-> For high definitions YouTube uses DASH/MPD which is not supported by video plug-ins or HTML5 video player.
-> Some Crackle videos are available in US only.

If you can find a movie you really want to watch at Crackle...it is now ad free...I've watched a couple of them.

I'm sure eventually ads will be similar to Hulu. I quit watching Hulu movies because even if you pay you still get the

same number of ads....and there are lots of them.

Edited by buddy215, 10 April 2014 - 06:19 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,933 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

It's not ready for prime time. Would be too frustrating to use...my opinion.

I would have to agree.

But it gives you an option to learn .... LOL

Thank you for your valuable input, There are only a few people who post in the Linux section and we hope to see you post more. Please.

I am not a Linux geek by no means If I see something that I like or works for me I post it in the hope it may help some body else.

I see it this way.

I may be crude, I may make the odd inappropriate comment. or joke,  My reply may not be accurate.(  it worked for me)

But

If I can help just 1 person this month.

Then I am happy and my work is done.

We have another convert

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528893/need-help-selecting-which-file-to-actually-download-to-get-puppy-56/

Edited by NickAu1, 11 April 2014 - 02:58 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:55 AM

We have another convert

That's what matters! The more that's recruited, the better. That person will then become happy with Linux & will recommend it to others. That person will also learn that there is choice, just because a computer shipped with MS Windows (except for the Windows RT versions) doesn't mean that we must run it. In fact, the HDD can be removed & one can run Linux w/out ever agreeing with any of MS's EULA's.

And MS's 90+% share will erode. Once it drops below the 90% mark, there'll likely be no return, as the damage will be one, one user at a time. Those who buys Chromebooks are also Linux users & that group is growing.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 13 April 2014 - 09:55 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,933 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

It's very fast and much more fun to use than Win 8

(which I shouldn't have wasted my money on, especially after using Linux for just a little while now)

He says that after only a few days on Linux. And Puppy is 1 of the harder distros to master.  Wait till he tries Kunbuntu or Mint he will hate Windslows with a passion.

brian2009  has found that Linux is not this scary geek only os.

Edited by NickAu1, 13 April 2014 - 03:41 AM.

Arch Linux .

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:31 PM

Mint will be smooth sailing & makes for a great "installed" OS. I see Mint pulling further away from Ubuntu, looking at the Beta 1 & 2 releases of the latter. Users wants a more simple interface, that stated, Ubuntu has a lot in common with Windows 8. Lots of eye candy & tricky to navigate. That's bad, because when I first used Linux, Ubuntu was the 1st. Very simple Start Menu then, making it great for beginners & pros alike. Canoncial is pushing it more to the "pros", as evidenced by it's sinking ratings.

Yes, I've found Puppy a bit on the tricky side myself & am a 5 year Linux user. Yet, on the other hand, either on CD or Flash drive, makes for an excellent portable OS to carry around.

There will be furthered improvements in Greasemonkey, just as it has been in Linux gaming in the last couple of years. Demand is growing for the Linux platform, developers will respond accordingly. There is a very high demand for both Linux developers & IT pros & for the right prospectives, pay & benefits are better than Windows counterparts.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

Mint will be smooth sailing & makes for a great "installed" OS. I see Mint pulling further away from Ubuntu, looking at the Beta 1 & 2 releases of the latter. Users wants a more simple interface, that stated, Ubuntu has a lot in common with Windows 8. Lots of eye candy & tricky to navigate. That's bad, because when I first used Linux, Ubuntu was the 1st. Very simple Start Menu then, making it great for beginners & pros alike. Canoncial is pushing it more to the "pros", as evidenced by it's sinking ratings.

I've been using Linux for less than two months, and went for Ubuntu because it was the one I had heard of most often, which I guess is probably the reason why a lot of people choose it. I also find it hard to navigate, although I had not tried any other Linux OS at that time to compare it with. I've never really liked the chunky look and feel of it either, and found out the other day that I much, much prefer Lucid Puppy in these respects.

For whatever reason, Ubuntu (which is on a separate partition on a dual boot system) hasn't been working properly since I replaced some broken hardware, so I was going about re-installing it the other day... when I discovered the CD/DVD drive isn't working properly either! Although recently I've barely used my desktop pc, as the novelty of Puppy on my laptop hasn't worn off.

Lucid Puppy has now inspired me to try something else instead of Ubuntu (when I get round to replacing the CD drive), and Mint looks like it would be a good choice.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

and Mint looks like it would be a good choice.

Mint is far easier to get used to over Ubuntu & a more suitable XP replacement, though some users that has older (non-PAE enabled) CPU's are restricted to MInt 13, which still is supported unti April 2017. Five years ago, I may not have stated that, as Ubuntu also had a simple Start Menu, in later years, the developers went with the Unity GUI & usage has suffered steep dips as a result.

Another reason that Mint users outnumbers Ubuntu by a 2 to 1 margin.

Puppy does make a good portable OS choice, one of the more popular for this choice.

Cat

#9 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

Once I'm done playing with my new hat - Fedora 19 / 20 - I think I'll wipe this partition and try that Mint-y freshness that Cat is always going on about.   :guitar:

I've tried it awhile back in a VM I've got installed on my Windows side and I like it better than Ubuntu. I've got them both installed over there.

I'm also a fan of the Puppy - as everyone mentioned, not easy to use but it's handy and fast. Helped me help a friend get a ton of old photos off of a seriously damaged machine.

I've also played just a little bit with OS4 but it didn't really speak to me.

Thank goodness for the Live CD/DVD route - what a great way to test this stuff.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users