Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding memory ,speeds up fan

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 cuz'n'chub

cuz'n'chub

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:01 AM

Hello, 

we have an Hp pavilion desktop a1217n xp home edition ,

It had 512 mb memory in it originally, we added  one more 512,works fine But need to upgrade to 2 gig for our recording software to work,We ordered 2- 1 gig sticks of ddr2 4200 , what it calls for.

we took the original 512 out and put the new  2  1 gig sticks in and it runs the fan really fast,

and wont start up, we shut it down and put  2- 512 sticks in and it works fine ,

so what could be the problem?     thanks C&C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:03 AM

check the RAM timing, compare the sticks you bought and what the mobo calls for.

#3 cuz'n'chub

cuz'n'chub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:51 AM

check the RAM timing, compare the sticks you bought and what the mobo calls for.

we put the same ram in that the mobo called for , its ddr2 4200 . both same brand name also, 

so we're stumped,,, someone mentioned overclocking... what is that??.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

You don't have to worry about overclocking with your older PC.

RAM timing is not the same thing as frequency (4200 is frequency), and can effect performance a lot. Personally I don't know a hell of a lot about it, but I know you need compatible ones.

Google;

Your mobo model and check RAM suitability

you new RAM model, check specs

--------------------------

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I'm not a wealth of info on the subject, but I hope this points you in the right direction

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

Try 1 x1gb stick at a time. Put 1 stick in boot if nothing repeat with the other stick . The chances are it will boot from 1 x1GB stick.

Edited by NickAu1, 10 April 2014 - 03:23 AM.

#6 cuz'n'chub

cuz'n'chub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

Try 1 x1gb stick at a time. Put 1 stick in boot if nothing repeat with the other stick . The chances are it will boot from 1 x1GB stick.

Hi Nick,

we tried every combination we could think of,  1- 512 works, 2- 512 works, but we put the 1 gig sticks in, one at a time or both  and we get an alarm sound , and fast fan speed , nothing happens with the monitor , just ding ding ding ding and fast fan, so we  are really stumped, got the right  memory  same as the 512,  4200 ddr2

We had the motherboard replaced  and our original OS wont work ,we are using a generic XP disk the tech gave us  in case ours wouldn't work , now that we are out of warranty ,they cant help us,, so we really  need some ideas on what it could be,

we were told to update the  bios, so  maybe if we  roll back the bios driver, could that hurt? 

thanks to you all for your help,,C&C

#7 cuz'n'chub

cuz'n'chub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hi folks,

well its been a few days ,we have tried everything  that we knew to do ,

we did as you suggested, looked at different forums and read all we could, 

the memory we bought  was ddr2-533-4200 that's what  crucial and HP said

that our PC took, also checked the one that was in the PC, same thing, 

Our PC is 6 yrs old , would like to keep it, so any help would be greatly

appreciated, thanks again  for your help,     C&C

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

Looking at this spec sheet from Crucial, you need DDR2 PC2-5300. You might want to check again.

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq-memory/Pavilion+A1000+Series/Pavilion+a1217n-upgrades.html

RAM timing is not the same thing as frequency (4200 is frequency), and can effect performance a lot. Personally I don't know a hell of a lot about it, but I know you need compatible ones.

+1! Incompatible RAM can cause a lot of issues, including failing to boot, even if it can be "seen" in the BIOS setup.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 20 April 2014 - 12:09 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:17 AM

I also found this topic from Microsoft on physical memory limits...might be worth taking a look at.  

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

I also found this topic from Microsoft on physical memory limits...might be worth taking a look at.  

Good find, Stolen!

That article brought a lot of heated debate on another forum a few years back.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

Hi Cat! 

Really! That is very interesting!! I had no idea there was heated debate!! wow...

So, this is a funny little side story, but the reason why I looked it up...when I first read this topic, I remembered that when I got my last 'new' laptop at work a few years ago, I had requested 8 gb of memory because of the way I work with many programs running at once and multiple browsers and tabs open. 

They said, "of course" and "no problem" and "yes, OF COURSE we gave you 8 gigs, we put 2 sticks in..."  etc...LOL

I realized much later that was simply not true and not possible since XP did not support the 8 gb *still butthurt* lol  :wink:

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:34 AM

For whatever reason, I've never bought into the PAE deal, I've always went with a 64 bit OS so that I'd know what I have. Linux 32 bit OS's does a great job of using PAE to access more than 4GB RAM, as long as the CPU supports it, Windows not quite so well. That's what the heated discussion was over, many users had 32 bit Windows 7 & stuffing 8 to 16GB RAM in & getting nowhere.

Fortunately, some had 64 bit CPU's & could go with a 64 bit OS.

Cat

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:59 AM

Windows 7 Professional    Max 192 GB RAM, Why would anybody need that much ram ever? Oh hang on its Windows .

#14 cuz'n'chub

cuz'n'chub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

Looking at this spec sheet from Crucial, you need DDR2 PC2-5300. You might want to check again.

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq-memory/Pavilion+A1000+Series/Pavilion+a1217n-upgrades.html

+1! Incompatible RAM can cause a lot of issues, including failing to boot, even if it can be "seen" in the BIOS setup.

Cat

Thanks for the input folks,  our PC is 4200 that's what came in it, and our specs say so on the HP website,

we know about the 5300 , that's what crucial says,and we can use it,

we'll check the bios,  and maybe roll it back. this is really weird thanks again C&C

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for the input folks,  our PC is 4200 that's what came in it, and our specs say so on the HP website,

we know about the 5300 , that's what crucial says,and we can use it,

we'll check the bios,  and maybe roll it back. this is really weird thanks again C&C

Please keep us informed on how this turns out. It will add to our base of solutions, if this gets resolved.

All the Best,

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users