Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Preventing computer from bootup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Telemkam

Telemkam

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:21 PM

When it gets to the "Windows is starting up" Screen it crashed. Blue screens with

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

STOP: 0x0000004E

I've attempted running Startup Repair option

It brings me to a screen "Windows is loading files..." With the loading bar at the bottom

Then it blue screens.

I've also attempted to start up windows 7 through the Installation CD. I set the DVD drive as priority through the bios.

When it comes up, I press a key, as prompted. Then it begins to load files.

"Windows is loading files...."

It does this twice. The first time the loading bar goes by pretty quickly, second time takes about 20-30 seconds.

Then it goes right to the "Windows is Starting up" Screen

Then crashes to a blue screen.

Same error code.

As a note, I also attempted Safe mode:

Blue screens

And I've also loaded the Advanced Boot options:

"Last Known Good Configuarion (Advanced)" Tried that one.

Brought me to the "Windows is Starting up" screen.

Then blue screened.

Help would be appreciated.

I have many files on this computer which are not backed up (The fool I am!)

And also many digital art files (My own work) Which have no other copies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

Hi

Have you installed any driver/software recently or added any hardware component ?.  Do you have Windows installation disc or System Repair Disc in hand ?.

#3 Telemkam

Telemkam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:26 AM

This all occured after doing a Windows update. I shut it down normally last night, then when booting it up today, it proceeded to do this.

I do have a Windows Installation disk, and as stated before, having the BIOS boot directly to the DVD drive causes it to begin reading the files, but then goes right to the start up screen after it reads them, which causes a blue screen.

Unfortunately I don't have a system repair disk for it, otherwise I'd try that at this point.

Though, if I were to make a System repair disk using another computer, would I be able to use it on the malfunctioning one?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

I do have a Windows Installation disk, and as stated before, having the BIOS boot directly to the DVD drive causes it to begin reading the files, but then goes right to the start up screen after it reads them, which causes a blue screen.

A corrupted Windows shouldn't affect booting from a CD. So i suspect that we are dealing with a hardware issue here. I would suggest running Memtest86+ to detect RAM errors. Please read the below tutorial for step by step instructions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

Run the test for at least 7 - 8 passes and report whether it detect any errors.

#5 Telemkam

Telemkam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:42 AM

I am unable to run Memtest86+

The CD is not read by my laptop at all with the program set to it And I followed the tutorial exactly.

Only USB flash drive I have is ignored completely by the USB Installer, even after formatting the USB flash stick just in case didn't allow it to be detected.

That might just be the Cruzer glide USB FlashDrive I got 16GB.

Would there be a suggestion to one I can purchase without spending too much that you know for certain would work?

(I tested the USB on multiple computers, Wasn't registered by the Installer at all)

Also attempted using a System Repair disk created by a friend using Windows 7 as well.

Same issue as the Install CD.

At this point I'm considering just ponying up and purchasing another laptop, while trying to just recover the hard drive to convert it into an external one.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:49 AM

Hi

Before consider replacing the laptop, please try a memory isolation test. Most laptop came with two RAM modules. You can remove the small bottom cover and unplug one module at a time to check whether one of them is faulty.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:35 AM

Try going into bios and reset it to defaults.

#8 Telemkam

Telemkam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

I guess I'll do a small update.

I purchased an external hard drive case for my laptop's HDD. Removed it and placed it into that.

Recovered all critical data from the hard drive to my desktop.

Formatted the Laptop's HDD.

Due to a mishap, the HDD Caddy for the laptop was misplaced.

Though, out of quick testing, I got the Windows 7 installer CD to boot up no problem on my laptop now.

At this point I just need to get the Caddy I order to come in (Should be tomorrow) (And yes, I ordered the Caddy for the exact model of Laptop I have)

If I am able to install Windows 7 on it, I'll run a memory test as well, just to double check. Since both the CD and USB methods do not seem to work with my laptop.

Though it was running the Windows 7 installer off the RAM no problem.

I'll know for certain if this was a good move or not on Monday.

Regardless, Managed to save all the critical data.

#9 Telemkam

Telemkam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

Well I can safely say reformatting fixed the issue.

It wasn't a memory problem, it was the OS. Guess it got to a point where it was broke enough to mess up the boot somehow.

Regardless.

Reformatting and reinstalling is a beautiful thing.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

Glad to hear that  :thumbup2: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users