Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange missing sound drivers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hi..

I got a new monitor today, before I used a VGA monitor, but finally I have a monitor that's HDMI compatible. It has a sound jack, I thought I should mention.

But really when I started up my computer, I first noticed my sound icon was X'd out, and when I click it, it takes me directly to the useless problem detector. Right clicking shows me that no playback or recording devices are installed, for some reason.

I tried mostly disabling reenabling and uninstalling then restarting all three of my sound drivers, but I think I'm entirely missing some playback or recording drivers that my laptop does have. I have no idea what happened.

If I plug my headphones in or anything (My computer appears to have to audio output green jacks, but nothing happens. When I plug my headphones in. Does EVERYONE have a audio input output, recording category in device manager that isn't sound, video, and game controllers?

I also tried MSconfig, nothing is unchecked or anything. It really just seems that I'm missing drivers...?

Is there a way I can try to see which ones I need to download? I can't figure out how to do that.

Oh and I just upgraded to windows 8.1.

I attached a picture of my device manager screen. (It didn't attach, sorry. I just explain it below)

Edited by JimmyKarter, 09 April 2014 - 11:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Sorry I don't think the image attached for some reason.

But basically under sound video and game controllers I just have Coxenant Smartaudio HD, Intel® Display audio, and NVIDIA High Definiton Audio, and nothing else.

#3 Baggi

Baggi

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

I've got a very similar problem, so I'll be watching this space as well as my own. Good luck!

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

could you tell more about your computer Brand and type? also please tell what speaker or headset that you use and tell what jack that use, USB or audio jack?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:22 AM

I think you need to disable the HDMI audio. Right now Windows is sending audio to HDMI port which does not have any audio devices connected, so...

Easiest way to do is to install NVidia drivers (full install). In the Nvidia control panel, you can select disable HDMI from the Setup Digital Audio section.

After this right-click on the speaker icon in system tray, select Playback devices and choose another audio device (other than HDMI). Then restart PC.

N2fzXRJ.png

You can also try switching to a different playback device without installing Nvidia control panel.

#6 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

Thanks a lot, but I tried to do that, but I still have no playback options, or recording options in my sound button. When I left click it just immediately troubleshoots, and right clicking shows me no options for those tabs aforementioned.

Does anyone have more than one category for anything related to audio drivers in device manager?

I just feel that's the problem I'm having.

#7 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

:-(

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

Did you try updating your audio drivers to the latest version from the NVidia website?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users