Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to hid Win XP computers from Internet for security reasons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jerryjam

jerryjam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

I have a couple of Windows XP pro computers that I will not be using on the internet but I need to be able to keep them on my local area network to be able to access financial documents such as prior years bank statements and bookkeeping records.

I disconnected them from my LAN yesterday and am now forced to use my Win 8 and Win 7 computers and the newer Microsoft office suites (which I very much dislike because all of bloat and cute frills features)

I should know how to hide my old XP machines but then they have not been broken in a long time and have been communicating with my new computers for months.

Any help would be appreciated!

I wish Microsoft would quit fixing what ain't broken! :-)

JJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:44 AM

HI,jerryjam,Heres something that may help called a D-LINK,i looked it up because what you were trying to do is what i used in the past was what was called an AB switch to switch between two pieces of electronic equipment,search GOOGLE for a D-LINK.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Provided your XP machines are behind a router and are not used to access the Internet you should be reasonably safe, especially if they have Service Pack 3 (SP3) and the Windows firewall is on.  If that isn't sufficient you would have to use other methods which would require additional networking hardware and/or changes to the network protocols being used on your network.

The best solution would most likely be to move the data to a machine with a more current version of Windows.

#4 jerryjam

jerryjam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the help.  I just checked my purchase date on my old faithful XP.  I am shocked to see that it is over nine years old.  My newest Win 8 is now over two yeaars old.

I guess I just need to let the old ones go sit behind the router and know that all the old data is backed up on both the old pcs and my cloud storage.  Perhaps I may even learn to like the new Microsoft office suites or learn the Google Docs replacements.

Perhaps someday I may even turn the old pcs off.  I have a Dell 400SC that has windows 2000 pro running 24\7 for over ten years now.

It is very difficult to pull the plugs when they are automatically defragged everyday and backed up.  Still..................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users