Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install XP ISO onto a blank HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 raabeye

raabeye

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

Hello Everyone,

For some quick background, I am an average techy.  I would give myself 4 out of 10 in regards to understanding computers.

In this situation though, I am stumped, even after I have followed directions from numerous boards and forums.

The product:

And old Dell D620 Laptop. The operating system it came with was WIndows XP Pro.  Years ago I upgraded to Vista.  Oops.
Since that time- I have upgraded the internal HDD twice, and the last time Laptop worked it was running Win 7.

The situation:

HDD is dead again.  I since have found an older Hitachi 2.5" HDD and wiped it clean with with DiskWipe. I want to use this HDD with this laptop.

I found an ISO of WIndows XP Pro.  Its about 605MB.  I don't have the original Windows XP disc, as the OS was preinstalled by Dell.  I want to install this ISO onto Hitachi HDD.

I also have USB to SATA adapter if needed.

Whats not working?

Accoridng to simple instructions from nearly everyone, I should burn the ISO to a disc.  Check.  I burned the ISO file to a DVD disc.

Next I inserted it into the laptops disc tray.

I have been told that once I turn on the laptop, the CPU should give me the option to boot from disc.  Except it hasn't.

I have gone into the boot menu and chose for the CD/DVD as the boot device.

Restarted CPU.  

Still nothing.  I just get the message "Missing Operating System"

Of course I am missing it. Thats why I am trying to install it.  Duh.  

So to my questions:  

Do I have to do anything with the Windows XP ISO file?  Extract it?  Zip it?  Rename it?

WOuld I have better luck using my USB to SATA adapter, and try to install the ISO externally using my desktop computer as the conduit?

What if I load the ISO onto a USB stick instead of trying to install by disc?  

I have read several things about using Dameon to "mount" the ISO?  Should I be doing this?

Also I have downloaded the Windows XP Pro Boot from Microsofts website. KB310994.  Not sure what this is, but every time I run it from my Desktop my cpu locks up.

Thanks for any help/suggesstions you can offer.  I am at my last rope here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

When you look at the contents of the dvd, is it one iso file? If there is only one file you will need to burn the iso to the dvd with a program like isoburner. When the computer first boots press F12 at the dell logo and you should get a boot menu to pick the boot device.

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

You won't require a DVD. Win XP will fit nicely on a CD. What you need to know here is that an ISO is an Image File. When you go to burn, using isoburner, or my preferred burning program, http://www.imgburn.com/

Select 'Write Image File To Disc' or similar. Burn at a speed of 4-6X & you should end up with a good copy of Win XP that is bootable.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 raabeye

raabeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:55 PM

Hey Saw and John,

Just want to thank you both for taking the time to help me with my problem.  I also posed the same question on two other "reputable" forums, CNET and XPForums. 

I got a nice response on XP forums, but was treating like a freakin criminal on the CNET forums.

They did basically everything they could to call me a software pirate who was abusing the system, and told me what I wanted to do would never work.  And they they didn't want to be an accessory to my shenanigans.  So much for that help.

Never been made to feel like such a POS as when these guys tried to "help" me out.

I really don't think anything I am doing is criminal or even resorts to any form of piracy.  My laptop had XP originally, I paid big money on top of that to upgrade to Vista, and them 7, and now I just want it returned to its normal, original state.  Every key player in this process made some significant cash as the result of my constant upgrading.

Am I wrong in thinking this? 

Regardless you guys were solid.  I first tired using a different version of an ISO burner I already had.  It didn't work.  I downloaded ImgBurn, and things are all good now.  The first sign should have been when it took ImgBurn much longer to make its copy than the other software.  I dropped the dic in my laptop, turned it on and it started installing immediately.

Many thanks again for helping my sorry ass through this.  I can now see the light at the end of the OS tunnel. 

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

No you are not.

You have legit keys that you paid for it's your PC and you should be able to use any OS that you want.

And I think having an ISO on dvd of the operating system is a good idea. I have Windows 7 and I downloaded the ISO and did the little trick where you get the option on install to select any flavour of Windows 7 from starter to Ultimate as long as you have a legit key.

This is 1 of the reasons I dumped Windows and went to Linux its my PC I paid for it and I will use it anyway I want.

Linux is free and if you want to and know how to  you can change it any way you want.  Or if you like just download a distro that has been re made, Look at all the Unbuntu spin off's .

Edited by NickAu1, 10 April 2014 - 12:12 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 raabeye

raabeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:17 AM

No you are not.

You have legit keys that you paid for it's your PC and you should be able to use any OS that you want.

And I think having an ISO on dvd of the operating system is a good idea. I have Windows 7 and I downloaded the ISO and did the little trick where you get the option on install to select any flavour of Windows 7 from starter to Ultimate as long as you have a legit key.

This is 1 of the reasons I dumped Windows and went to Linux its my PC I paid for it and I will use it anyway I want.

Linux is free and if you want to and know how to  you can change it any way you want.  Or if you like just download a distro that has been re made, Look at all the Unbuntu spin off's alone.

Thanks.  I too did the trick on Windows 7 on my Desktop.  And someday I will dig into Linux, as I am a big fan of anything open source.  

In a completely unrelated note, I spent 17 days down under a few years ago for work.  Conducted sales presentations at your big 4 cities.  Most fabulous time I ever had on the road, working.  Every city was unique in fun in its own way, and the locals were very welcoming.  Got to take in a lot of leisure activities, including a footie match, and drank some tremendous local brews. 

I must go back. 

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

I live in a little town called Nimbin all the Aussies know what Nimbin is famous for.... Hippies and Pot. When you come back make sure you visit our town especially during MardiGrass. Yes yes I got it right Grass. Its a pot festival. Join the joint rolling competition LOl . Or The Bong throwing comp.

Nimbin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbin,_New_South_Wales

MardiGrass

http://www.nimbinmardigrass.com/

This is the town center during MardiGrass, I live a half a mile from this. Not to far from the Police station.

2dcem4m.jpg

Edited by NickAu1, 10 April 2014 - 12:54 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 raabeye

raabeye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:43 AM

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

I live in a little town called Nimbin all the Aussies know what Nimbin is famous for.... Hippies and Pot. When you come back make sure you visit or town especially during MardiGrass. Yes yes I got it right Grass. Its a pot festival.

Nimbin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbin,_New_South_Wales

MardiGrass

http://www.nimbinmardigrass.com/

Funny!  My former employer failed to tell me about the great city of Nimbin. 

Although I did enjoy Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth, its always nice to venture a little off the beaten path.

Although judging from the guys at Manly toking up between riding waves, it seems Australia is a little more open to the hippie lifestyle. 

Thanks for the tip.  Good night. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users