Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pulling Hardware Information

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ATAustin

ATAustin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hey guys first time post here hoping you can help me with a question. I'm work for a company's tech department and we have a pretty large network. We replace/upgrade 25% of our computers every year. Right now we're looking for a software (we were thinking some kind of SNMP) that would allow us to look at how many RAM slots are physically available on the motherboard so we could order the correct amount of sticks. If this isn't possible any other suggestions would be helpful as well. I haven't found anything from my own online search but hopefully you guys know something I don't. Any information would be useful including telling me if it's even possible to do what we're asking.  :)

Edit: Through researching I came across this product Specy. Anyone use their business edition possibly and if so could it accomplish what we're looking for?

Edited by ATAustin, 09 April 2014 - 04:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

How many machines are we talking about?

What is your budget for this project?

Do you have any tools that you are already using that might have this ability?

#3 ATAustin

ATAustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

1) Between 600 and 1000 machines. We're attempting to upgrade our systems to windows 64-bit but in order to do that we would need more RAM. Right now its a mix in our machines of some having 1gb sticks, and others having two 512mb sticks.

2) I'm not sure about the budget my job really is just to research some solutions.

3) We already use Zenworks, and LAN school though because i'm realtivly new I don't have much experience with those programs and what they're capable of.

Edit: Found this software as well, http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/en/about/features/ if anyone has any input on it that would be great

Edited by ATAustin, 10 April 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

It looks like ZENworks will do what you need.    Any other solution is going to require an investment and most likely on a per machine licensing cost.

Upgrade Readiness (folder): Reports that help you determine which devices are ready for an upgrade.

• Memory Upgrade: Lists devices along with data on memory and available slots.

Edited by RKilroy, 11 April 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#5 flarkstone04

flarkstone04

• Banned Spammer
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Nice thread of pulling hardware information and i really liked it.

#6 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

Have you looked at RamMon ? 

http://www.passmark.com/products/rammon.htm

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

1) Between 600 and 1000 machines. We're attempting to upgrade our systems to windows 64-bit but in order to do that we would need more RAM. Right now its a mix in our machines of some having 1gb sticks, and others having two 512mb sticks.

You likely have already thought of this, but in case you have not...

You will also want to determine the processor that is used as some older processors are 64 bit OS compatible. If all the computers are on the new side, then this likely will not be an issue.

#8 ATAustin

ATAustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

It looks like ZENworks will do what you need.    Any other solution is going to require an investment and most likely on a per machine licensing cost.

Upgrade Readiness (folder): Reports that help you determine which devices are ready for an upgrade.

• Memory Upgrade: Lists devices along with data on memory and available slots.

This did exactly what i was hoping for in no time at all. We are all baffled that the program we needed was already on our network. Thanks a ton for your help hope I can become more involved with this fourm and contribute back sometime!

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Glad to be of assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users