Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely frustrating Freeze on BRAND NEW system

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 shingouki

shingouki

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

I really have no idea what to do here. I'm so incredibly frustrated, but I really need help. Please help me guys.

I was having some serious freezes with my old Win 7 Install. It wouldn't load up in full on any mode except pure Safe Mode. When it did load up, or was during the loadup phase, it would freeze 99% of the time. I tried a ton of things and none of them worked. So I got fed up and decided to just build a new PC. 

The first part that I got was an SSD. So I decided to do an experiment on my old system, and installed Windows 7 onto this new SSD. Booted off the SSD and poof, no more freezes. That uplifted my spirits quite a bit, but I was going to make a new system, so I didnt hold onto that for much longer. Soon after that I got the rest of my parts. List here:

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 128 GB
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
PSU: Corsair HX750

So I was replacing pretty much EVERYTHING. But I was keeping my old storage volumes. Next up, I booted up my system, and that wouldn't work with the Win7 install from before on my SSD. So I decided to just format my SSD, install a new Win7 system, and go on with my life. 

First it froze while finalizing the installation. Next it started freezing while browsing my old volumes. It froze when I was trying to install my new chipset drivers. It froze constantly over and over, on bootup as it did on my previous computer. So I reinstalled Windows 7 over and over while removing my old storage volumes, until I eventually just said F' it and kept only the SSD. Formatted that in the Windows 7 Install, and reinstalled again. Constantly froze the installation over and over, until it started working. But the freezes still have been continuing, just at extremely sporadic rates. I tried updating my BIOS, I tried changing my ram timings from 1600 MHz to 1866MHz in the Bios, updating the timings in both channels to match the memory. (I have ram installed in the 1 and 2 channels. Not adjacent but matching color DIMMS). I tried 1 stick of ram, alternating between both sticks...reinstalls. everything. Just freezes, BSODs, Crashes, even some Green Screen garbling with colors, just...bugs over and over without fail. I just don't know what to do. I worked on it for literally 9 hours straight, and nothing.

It's a brand new system,brand new everything. I don't know what to do. Can anyone...help me? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 shingouki

shingouki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

God, it was like hell to get these. So many freezes.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TPMk6ohNJnblPLdLjF2qwZG

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 23-01-2014

Ran by Reg (administrator) on 10-04-2014 at 12:18:54
Running from "C:\Users\Reg\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate   (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (04/10/2014 11:15:44 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc69e
Faulting module name: mshtml.dll, version: 8.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bda8a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00213c1d
Faulting process id: 0xbf0
Faulting application start time: 0xiexplore.exe0
Faulting application path: iexplore.exe1
Faulting module path: iexplore.exe2
Report Id: iexplore.exe3

Error: (04/10/2014 11:11:08 AM) (Source: System Restore) (User: )
Description: Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\system32\DrvInst.exe "4" "0" "C:\Users\Reg\AppData\Local\Temp\{7c6b8cea-75ad-256a-c51a-756ba6696806}\rtteampt.inf" "9" "6bed833ef" "0000000000000074" "WinSta0\Default" "0000000000000070" "208" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek\Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility\im\rtteampt"; Description = Device Driver Package Install: Realtek Network Protocol; Error = 0x8007043c).

Error: (04/10/2014 11:11:04 AM) (Source: System Restore) (User: )
Description: Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Users\Reg\AppData\Local\Temp\{FEEAED07-B185-4012-BD17-015EBF573D67}\setup.exe  -media_path:"D:\RTLTOOL\" -tempdisk1folder:"C:\Users\Reg\AppData\Local\Temp\{FEEAED07-B185-4012-BD17-015EBF573D67}\"; Description = Installed Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility; Error = 0x8007043c).

Error: (04/10/2014 10:42:26 AM) (Source: System Restore) (User: )
Description: Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Users\Reg\AppData\Local\Temp\{4F252CD1-2EEF-4EE0-98CA-5F03B9A6691C}\Setup.Exe  -media_path:"D:\W7\" -tempdisk1folder:"C:\Users\Reg\AppData\Local\Temp\{4F252CD1-2EEF-4EE0-98CA-5F03B9A6691C}\"; Description = Installed Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver; Error = 0x8007043c).

System errors:
=============
Error: (04/10/2014 00:18:14 PM) (Source: EventLog) (User: )
Description: The previous system shutdown at 11:59:04 AM on ?4/?10/?2014 was unexpected.

Error: (04/10/2014 11:57:08 AM) (Source: EventLog) (User: )
Description: The previous system shutdown at 11:55:00 AM on ?4/?10/?2014 was unexpected.

Error: (04/10/2014 11:52:39 AM) (Source: DCOM) (User: )
Description: 1084wuauserv{E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}

Error: (04/10/2014 11:52:14 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error: 
%%1068

Description: The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error: 
%%1068

%%1068

%%1068

%%1068

%%1068

Error: (04/10/2014 11:52:13 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
%%1068

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (04/10/2014 11:15:44 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: iexplore.exe8.0.7600.163854a5bc69emshtml.dll8.0.7600.163854a5bda8ac000000500213c1dbf001cf54cfbcadaeb7C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exeC:\Windows\SysWOW64\mshtml.dllfbe7bf64-c0c2-11e3-ac9e-74d4355ebf0a

Error: (04/10/2014 11:11:08 AM) (Source: System Restore)(User: )
Description: C:\Windows\system32\DrvInst.exe "4" "0" "C:\Users\Reg\AppData\Local\Temp\{7c6b8cea-75ad-256a-c51a-756ba6696806}\rtteampt.inf" "9" "6bed833ef" "0000000000000074" "WinSta0\Default" "0000000000000070" "208" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek\Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility\im\rtteampt"Device Driver Package Install: Realtek Network Protocol0x8007043c

Error: (04/10/2014 11:11:04 AM) (Source: System Restore)(User: )
Description: C:\Users\Reg\AppData\Local\Temp\{FEEAED07-B185-4012-BD17-015EBF573D67}\setup.exe  -media_path:"D:\RTLTOOL\" -tempdisk1folder:"C:\Users\Reg\AppData\Local\Temp\{FEEAED07-B185-4012-BD17-015EBF573D67}\"Installed Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility0x8007043c

Error: (04/10/2014 10:42:26 AM) (Source: System Restore)(User: )
Description: C:\Users\Reg\AppData\Local\Temp\{4F252CD1-2EEF-4EE0-98CA-5F03B9A6691C}\Setup.Exe  -media_path:"D:\W7\" -tempdisk1folder:"C:\Users\Reg\AppData\Local\Temp\{4F252CD1-2EEF-4EE0-98CA-5F03B9A6691C}\"Installed Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver0x8007043c

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver (Version: 7.49.927.2011)

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 11%
Total physical RAM: 8156.59 MB
Available physical RAM: 7206.66 MB
Total Pagefile: 16311.32 MB
Available Pagefile: 15336.14 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3972.54 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:111.69 GB) (Free:89.83 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\REG-PC

Administrator            Guest                    Reg                      

**** End of log ****

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#5 shingouki

shingouki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

Louis

I did post the link. It's located at the top, right before the Log. But I can post it again:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TPMk6ohNJnblPLdLjF2qwZG

Thanks in advance!

Edited by shingouki, 10 April 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

The motherboard should have come with a CD to install your drivers, when you have successfully installed the operating system you should use this to install the drivers.

Because you were experiencing freezes during the installation I suspect this is a hardware problem.

Go back and make sure that your RAM is properly seated.  There are plastic tabs on each end of the slot for the RAM, theses should be completely upright.

If they are seated properly try removing one module and see how it runs with just the one module.  

If the computer continues to freeze try the module in the other slot.

If the computer continues to freeze remove the module and install the other and do the same thing.

There is always a chance that one of the RAM modules was defective.  I added RAM from Crucial to my wife's computer only to find that the modules was bad.  This was the first time I've ever had a problem with one of their modules.  This just goes to show that these things happen.

Edit:  I just saw the Speccy, it is only showing one RAM module.  Do what I suggested above.  Either one of the modules isn't seated properly or is bad.

It also shows the PSU rail voltages to be low.  If you have a voltage meter with a 12V DC scale you can use the instructions below to check the rail voltages.

Reading Desktop PSU Rail Voltages

Caution: Please read this before continuing.

* Since it will be necessary for your computer to be on during this procedure, you need to be aware that you will be working with live 12Volt DC potentials, which if handled improperly may lead to electrical shock. 

* There are electronics inside the case that are very susceptible to electrostatic discharges. To protect your computer, touch the metal of the case to discharge yourself of any electrostatic charges before touching any of the components inside.

* If you are not comfortable doing this procedure, then I would suggest that you not use this tutorial. The risks involved are minimal, but are there nevertheless. Anyone who uses this tutorial will be doing so at their own risk.

There are two devices commonly used to read the rail voltages: a PSU tester, and a multimeter. 

The PSU tester is the easiest to use since all that is necessary is to plug the different connectors into the tester and read the results on the LCD display. The problem with most of these is that they only perform a pass/fail test.  They will not provide you with actual voltage readings.

There are a variety of multiple meters, but this tutorial will address Analog and Digital multimeters. The advantage of these meters is that you will be able to obtain accurate real time voltage readings.

For those of you who wish to know more about multimeters there is an excellent article in Wikipedia.

Analog Multimeter

th_analogedited.jpg

An Analog multimeter is a little more complicated to use. Both Analog and Digital multimeters need to be set to the appropriate voltage, but with an Analog multimeter, you will need to choose the voltage range and must read the proper scale. 

The Analog multimeter uses a needle display which moves from 0 across the scale until it reaches the voltage being tested. This multimeter has five major linear divisions with multiple scales to read a variety of ranges. An example would be three different ranges. The first is graduated in increments of 0 through 5, the second, 0 through 10, and the third, 0 through 25. Each of these ranges are subdivided into divisions that are graduated into tenths. In order to read 12 volts the 0 through 25 range would be the appropriate one. 

Because DC voltage has positive and negative potentials this device is polar sensitive, this means that if you reverse the two probes when reading a positive DC voltage it will read as a negative voltage. This is actually necessary to read negative DC voltages. The two probes are differentiated by their color, Black (negative), and Red (positive). To read a positive DC voltage, the correct probes must be used with their corresponding potentials (positive to positive and negative to negative). 

With the probes being used normally to read a negative DC voltage, the needle moves from the 0 to the left, "pegging" the needle. By reversing the probes you can properly read the negative voltages.

Digital Multimeter

th_digitalmeteredited.jpg

The Digital multimeter (DMM) is much simpler to use. As was mentioned previously, you will need to set the appropriate voltage. One of the advantages is that the DMM has an LCD display with a numeric readout, so there are not any multiple scales to read. Another advantage is that most DMMs are autoranging when reading voltages, which means that you will not need to set the range with these DMMs. A DMM will read both positive and negative DC voltages and display them correctly. When reading a negative voltage, a minus sign will appear on the display before the numeric value. This still is a polar sensitive device, so you will still need to use the positive and negative probes with their corresponding potentials. 

There are five different DC rail voltages which are color coded. The Black wires are always negative.

Yellow +12VDC

Blue -12VDC

Red +5VDC

White -5VDC

Orange +3.3VDC

There are only three voltages that can be measured easily without disconnecting the 20/24 pin connector from the motherboard: +12V, +5V, and +3.3V.

The +12V and +5V voltages can be read from a four pin Molex power connector.

Four pin Molex power connector

th_250px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

The same voltages can be taken from a four pin SATA power connector, but in order to read the +3.3V you will need to read this from a five pin SATA power connector as seen below.

Five pin SATA power connector.

th_sata-power-cable.jpg

To read these voltages you will need to insert the Black (-) probe into any of the black  sockets, and insert the Red (+) probe in the different colored voltage sockets.   To read the voltages from a SATA power connector it is easiest to insert the probes into the bac k of the connector where the wires enter.  Unfortunately the sockets of the modular SATA power connectors are not accessible from the back, so the readings will need to be made from the socket side.  Some probes are going to be too large to fit in these sockets, so you may need to insert a piece of wire into the socket of which you want to read the voltage of and place the probe on this for your reading.  To reduce the potential of creating a short I would suggest taking the ground potential from another connector so that the two wires will remain physically separated.

Caution:  It is very important to make sure that you don't allow the two probes to touch each other when taking the voltage readings.  This will cause a short which could damage the PSU or other components.

To get accurate readings of the rail voltages it is important that there be a load on the PSU. In order to do this I would suggest downloading Prime95 for this purpose. This program was designed to be used by overclockers to put a full load on the RAM and CPU to determine the stability of their overclocking.  Because of this it will put stress on the CPU and RAM which will create higher than normal temperatures.  For this reason I would suggest not running this program any longer than is necessary.  I would also suggest that an inspection be made of the interior of the case to make sure that there isn’t an accumulation of dust which would impede adequate cooling.  Pay special attention to the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU.  If there is a dedicated graphics card with a fan installed on it, look at this fan as well.      

Readings should not have variances larger than +/- five percent.  

Maximum.........Minimum
12.6V.................11.4V
5.25V.................4.75V
3.47V.................3.14V

Edited by dc3, 10 April 2014 - 01:50 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 shingouki

shingouki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for your response dc3. Do you think my parts just might not be getting enough power? I tried it with all configurations of ram, on all the DIMM slots and it still freezes in the PC.

I cant actually put the PC under load (I can barely install anything). I got through to the "windows 7" area but shortly after using the computer for a short while, it always freezes. 

I did a test though: Yesterday I loaded the pc and did nothing to it. Just left it on for the entire day while I went to work. Came back home, and the computer was still on and functional. The moment I started using it however: browsing my USB drive, transferring files, going on internet explorer. It instantly froze. So it's as though the moment the pc has to make a serious activity that requires a change, it freezes. 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

One of the two RAM modules is not being recognized, I still believe there is a problem with one of these modules.

Are these modules install in slots 1 and 3, or 2 and 4?

I would like to run Memtest86 to determine if there is a problem and which modules is at fault.  You should run this test on each module separately, and you should run at least five scan for each module.  This will take several hours, so be patient.

As for the voltages.

Voltage
CPU CORE: 1.176 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 1.488 V
+3.3V: 2.004 V
+5V: 3.387 V
+12V: 8.016 V
-12V: (8.880) V

These are the rail voltages that the Speccy is reporting.  If these are accurate then you have a problem with your PSU.  With most newer PSUs the different rail voltages are derived from the 12V rail, so if the 12V rail is low it usually will effect the other rails which appears to be the case here.  You need to test these rail voltages to be sure that the rail voltages are correct or not in the Speccy.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

My apologies...my perceptual skills fail me at times :).  Thanks for posting it again.

Louis

#10 shingouki

shingouki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

So outside of Memtest86+ and testing it with a multimeter, is there anything else I should be trying?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

We need to see what the results are for the rail voltages and the RAM.  After I know what the results are for those two I will have a better idea of what is going on.  So, please do those two things and post the results.

#12 shingouki

shingouki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

We need to see what the results are for the rail voltages and the RAM.  After I know what the results are for those two I will have a better idea of what is going on.  So, please do those two things and post the results.

You got it chief. I was really nervous about doing these voltages. Never did it before. But I got here:

+12v = 12.11

+5v = 5.09

+3v = 3.34

-12v = 12.41

Memtest Running with Ram on DIMM #2 and DIMM #4 Results:

Ran Default Test: 10 Tests, with 4 Passes on Memtest86 V5.0 Free.

0 Errors on all 10 Tests.

Edited by shingouki, 11 April 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Did you install the graphic drivers from the manufacturer's website or was there a CD that came with the GPU?

#14 shingouki

shingouki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

I can boot into safe mode, and I downloaded the drivers onto my usb and placed them onto my desktop, but Safe Mode also freezes when I try to install anything. So I havent been able to update the drivers at all.

Edited by shingouki, 11 April 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

1. Click on the Start orb, type Services.msc in the Search programs and files.  Services.msc will above the Search box under Programs, right click on Servicers.msc and choose Run as administrator.

2. In the right pane, double-click Microsoft Network Inspection.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.

4. Do this with the following services.

Function Discovery Resource Publication
Desktop Window Manager Session Manager
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Server
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users