Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 issues.....help needed please!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flaps604

flaps604

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hello folks,

I've been having some problems with windows 7 Home Premium on my Acer desktop PC which I suspected were related to some sort of virus.

Things like, programs continually freezing and saying "Not Responding" or failure to even start, other programs wont launch or crash when I try and shut them down, the windows search function doesnt work etc etc.

So I downloaded just about every useful bit of software I thought might help from this site, but it doesnt seem to have fixed it, so I backed eveything up to an external hard drive and thought I'd just reinstall Windows.

When I click:

Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore > Recover System Settings or your Computer > Advanced Recovery Methods > Return Your Computer to Factory Condition

it asks me if I want to back up my files, so I click on Skip (as I've already backed them up) and then it takes me to a screen which says 'Restart your computer and continue the recovery' and provides me with a button that says Restart, so I click it and I get a pop-up message saying

"Failed to Restart the computer. Windows cannot restart the computer into the Windows Recovery Environment to complete the recovery operation".

I googled this error message and it came up with a suggestion on this website called 'How to Start Windows 7 Recovery Environment' by Lawrence Abrams. So I read the article and followed the steps, but when I press F8 and get the menu, there is no option that says 'Repair Your Computer' and I dont have any disks with Windows on as I bought the computer from Tesco with it already installed.

Help! I'm a bit stuck as to how to progress from here, so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

What model Acer system?

Have you looked at the owner's manual?  The Acer website?

Louis

#3 flaps604

flaps604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

Hi Louis,

thanks for the reply!

The model is an Acer Aspire AX3810. It didnt come with a manual that I can recall!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

When powering on the computer, press the ALT key and tap the F10 key (when you see the Acer logo).  The restore manager should begin and ask what you want to do. If it asks for a password, it is six zero's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users