Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Running Hot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AgCoach

AgCoach

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:07 AM

My laptop feels like it gets pretty hot after only running for 30 minutes or so. Is this because it is sitting on a flat surface with no air underneath it? It seems like it should be made to sit on a desk...anyway, what should I do to keep this from happening? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:23 AM

Make sure all fans are running.

Make sure air inlets are clear of dust and hair, etc. They tend to get clogged after a time. Use a can of compressed air to clean them.

Use a laptop cooler. There are many different models available. Google 'laptop cooler' and you will see lots of choices.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:58 AM

my laptop gets hot too, the fan is always running the fan often runs faster to try and keep it cool.

#4 codajohn

codajohn

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:33 AM

I had the same problem. I noticed the fans were always running at high speed.
What I did to correct this problem was to remove both fans (be very careful with the very small screws)and vacuum the dust out of the intake and output vents, the fans and the item that had the most dust on/in it was the heat exchangers (looks like little radiator fins). These were so bad I couldn't even see the fins. After startup, my lap is quite as a mouse. After only 2 months, I see I should probably do it again very soon.

Edited by codajohn, 19 May 2006 - 05:34 AM.

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2, 2.80 gh Pent 4, ST94811A 40.01 GB, External 250 GB Maxtor HD, 2GB Ram, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A, External LG-5163D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2gh Pent4, 120gb HD, 1GB Ram, BenqDW 1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

#5 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:39 AM

good call. sav it from overheating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users