Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mapped drives deleting on startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Striker76

Striker76

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Question if you don't mind. I created a Mapped drive "use net z: \\192.168.1.3\share" and the same for map Y. The original folks had a map to the same folder for two drives but used it for different applications. The reason for remapping is window work-group no longer recognized the "server" name and we had to map out IP as a quick fix until we are able to get there domain up and running. All we had done the night before for the customer was install memory from 4 GB to 16 GB and created a VM for Terminal Stations. The problem solved, but upon reboot, found that the drives were no longer mapped out.   I again preformed the command. It once again solved. again on boot-up The drive was deleted. I was onsite for this boot-up and found the command box open with text deletion successful. I checked start up file and found Mapdisk.bat. When I edited it, I found that it was a command to erase both mapped disks. I also preformed the same function thought the windows mapping function to no avail prier to searching the startup file. I have since deleted the Mapdisk.bat file and been able to boot-up without loosing the drives.  The question I have is I did this on 14 PCs on one work-group network. This happened to all but 2 or 3 PCs, one was a Newer Laptop, one was a WIN 7 the rest were XP. By doing the net use command, would that cause the Bat file to be created and placed in start up. I know none of the users were able to do it and I know it was not there before I mapped out the drives, but as I said, it was on most of the PCs that I had mapped out after loosing connectivity to the server. Thanks for any information you may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

You want to use this to map the drives:

NET USE Z: \\192.168.1.3\Share /PERSISTENT:YES

The batch file was there before you started working, it wasn't something created by the NET USE command.

Edited by RKilroy, 10 April 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#3 Striker76

Striker76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

That is what I thought would be the case as well. The issue is the maps were to the drives specifically, before I had to remap them. They were still there when I had to remap them. so were not being deleted before I remapped them and called the same "Y" and "Z". It was not until after I mapped them via IP that they started getting deleted on boot up. Once the file was found, I deleted the issue, and was successful in rebooting. I did everything I had done prier to the issue and have been unsuccessful in recreating the file or issue via the steps I had taken before. I was just wondering if there was Any way other then actually writing the batch file that it would self create. The only other possible explanation is someone attached it them selves to every computer in the office (besides the few not affected). We are talking about folks that only know to turn the PC on. No one in the office would have the Know-how to first build the Batch, nor even to implement it.  Also found it strange to actual be IN the start up file.  Thanks anyway BC. The puzzle remains. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users