Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ext Hard drive cannot be read.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oldcaptainrusty

oldcaptainrusty

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

500 GB Seagate Barracuda drive that I had my XP OS on, have been using it for about a year. I replaced it with my Win 7 upgrade. I put it in my external HD kit to transfer some files. The 1st time I tried to access it, Windows Explorer opened it up, I clicked on a directory to open it and a message came up that said I did not have access to this file, click continue to open the file, which I did (I'm working in my new Win 7 OS). I clicked continue and the error message came up that I needed to format the drive. When I cancelled out of that another message came up that told me the volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

In my searching around this forum I ran across the repair procedure recommended by Mr. Litten. I made the Parted Magic bootable CD and ran that program following Mr. Litten's instructions. Everything went fine until after the analyses. It did not locate a partition.This old country boy is stumped at this point. Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

Welcome,

Is you 500GB external connected and powered up when you boot the system? If so when you open windows explorer can you see the drive? Do you want to make / keep that drive as a bootable drive with XP as the OS?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 oldcaptainrusty

oldcaptainrusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

Yes the external drive is powered up when I boot the desktop that it is connected to.
Explorer does show the drive but it tells me that it must be formatted when I try to access it.
I don't particularly want to keep the old drive as bootable to the old XP os.
Thanks

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

You might try downloading http://www.partitionwizard.com/ and make sure that the external isn't set to active

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 oldcaptainrusty

oldcaptainrusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

Thanks I will give that a try later this evening (hopefully). I will keep you posted.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

I have my whole XP drive from my old system in an enclosure, non of the program will open but you should be able to access any files you need.  If you have Win7 Pro or Ultimate you can run XP mode, I had it on my machine for a bit but ended up dumping it once I had all I wanted off the drive.  The only thing I never could quite figure out was how to get my email addys off.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users