Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions on Email Hosting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 m1ckrz

m1ckrz

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

My company wants to transition from GoDaddy (for obvious reasons), but they don't want to pay the premium for Exchange as many of Exchange's features won't be needed. I have been trying to find a company that provides better service/stability as most of our emails take between 30 min and up to half for transit.

Currently, I have been looking at Rackspace as they provide a good SLA incentive (re-imbursement/pro-rate in the event of outage or service disruption). But I was also looking at HostGator as they have been around for a while and have a decent history.

That said, am I just trading one headache for another? I have been hard-pressed to find any independent reviews that provide these companies with anything above 3 stars. If all we are looking for is increased stability, email transfer speed, what are my options? I don't want to pay $10+/user if I am not using the collaborative features.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

I know 4 or 5 people who have had positive experiences using http://www.1and1.com/exchange-hosting

But it does really come down to what your personal expectations are and if the company you select can deliver.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

I looked into 1&1. Their hosting is around $3.99 (which according to my boss is too much). We only need very basic email services (IMAP, SSL, 20GB storage), but we need it to be stable. Currently, we sometimes wait several hours for email to arrive.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

If pricing is the selling point, and you can live with minimal size and feature sets. Rackspace has $2.00 per user.

http://www.rackspace.com/email-hosting/hosted-exchange/pricing/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:11 AM

I have been researching Rackspace and I spoke with one of their reps. They have a good SLA, server and geo-redundancy, nice feature sets (distribution lists, email aliases, domain aliases) and I read some good reviews with speed comparisons (http://alex-duncan.co.uk/why-i-switched-from-godaddy-to-rackspace-cloud-servers-2010-10-10.html). I also spoke with one of their technicians about queues and bandwidth. He assured me "as long as you stay within our AUP limits when sending" there should be no issues as to speeds. They parse their loads across "a large array of SMTP servers, and thus segment the load of the sending messages". The rep assured me that " the bottom up we designed the system with uptime and consistency as our motivation". Granted, these are all replies from internal company sources so whose to say without actually giving it a try. But in the end, I always have a better experience spending the extra amount for extra quality and only rarely am I disappointed. I'll let you know how it goes.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Thank you for the informational update. Yes please do let us know how it goes. In my experience I have to agree with you, that paying a little extra for service and quality rarely leaves you disappointed.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

UPDATE: the migration went off without a hitch (well....maybe a few minor issues). The Split Domain Routing feature made it very efficient when dealing with remote users. Allowed us to migrate people in groups. Speeds are leagues faster than GoDaddy. Lots of Exchange-ish features (Group Lists, DIscussion Lists, Aliases) as well as a very comprehensive directory system. All in all, we're super pleased with the transition.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad to know it was a 'fairly' painless transition.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users