Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Me!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carl5872

Carl5872

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

I have very little experience and knowledge about computers.  This is my first post on this forum, so I am sorry if it is in the wrong place.  

I noticed a while ago that my Alienware Laptop was starting up slower than my work laptop (a Dell Lattitude E6500).  I figured that this shouldn't be because the Alienware is supposed to be more powerful.  After a google search, I found your website showing me how to look through startup processes to uncheck what I don't really want running automatically each time the computer starts.

While going down the list I saw "SStorageAutoStart" with an unknown manufacturer listed.  I tried searching all over google/bing and this website to see what this is and if I should keep or remove it, but couldnt find it.  

Would anyone be able to tell me to keep or disable "SStorageAutoStart"?  Thank you.

Carl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hi Cari5872 and welcome to BleepingComputer! :)

So, "Startup item" tab is "SStorageAutoStart" and "Manufacture" is "Unknown" right?

Then what's in the tab "Command" and "Location"?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Isn't there an app that gives you the info on this? Not Process Explorer...just wondering.

Sounds like a command for a backup app, or for the hard drive. :scratchhead:

#4 Carl5872

Carl5872
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi Cari5872 and welcome to BleepingComputer! :)

So, "Startup item" tab is "SStorageAutoStart" and "Manufacture" is "Unknown" right?

Then what's in the tab "Command" and "Location"?

Thank you.

The Command is:  C:\Program Files (x86)\SOS Online Backup\SStorageLauncher.exe

The Location is:  HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Thanks

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

This indeed looks like the launcher for SOS Online Backup.

Here is the user guide and shows the location of the other .exe files. http://www.sosonlinebackup.com/pdf/sos-online-backup-user-manual.pdf

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Carl5872

Carl5872
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

This indeed looks like the launcher for SOS Online Backup.

Here is the user guide and shows the location of the other .exe files. http://www.sosonlinebackup.com/pdf/sos-online-backup-user-manual.pdf

Thanks!  I have no idea what this is or where it came from. The only backup Ive ever done (knowingly) was to an external harddrive.  So do you think that if I never intended to use this program, it would be safe to disable it? Or is it something that came with my computer and is important to it?  

Should I disable it from startup?

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

SOS Backup is not proprietary to any computer manufacturer.

If it came presinstalled on your computer it's bloatware-which is usually things you don't really want to use.  Bloatware can be anything. The most common are security programs such as Norton or McAffee.  Another popular one included in Microsoft Office.

The programs are generally trial versions. The companies which make the programs are hoping you will install them, use them, like them, and then purchase when the trial period ends.

SOS Backup could be one of those free trials.

It's also possible that it got installed along with something else you wanted and installed.

Whatever the case, you can uninstall it. It isn't important to the operation of your computer.

#8 Carl5872

Carl5872
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

SOS Backup is not proprietary to any computer manufacturer.

If it came presinstalled on your computer it's bloatware-which is usually things you don't really want to use.  Bloatware can be anything. The most common are security programs such as Norton or McAffee.  Another popular one included in Microsoft Office.

The programs are generally trial versions. The companies which make the programs are hoping you will install them, use them, like them, and then purchase when the trial period ends.

SOS Backup could be one of those free trials.

It's also possible that it got installed along with something else you wanted and installed.

Whatever the case, you can uninstall it. It isn't important to the operation of your computer.

Thanks all of you!  It's a blessing to have such clear help.  Honestly Ive called help centers before and they qualify everything they say to the point where it isn't of any help.

Thanks again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users