Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP is End-Of-Life

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Windows XP is End-Of-Life
Yesterday marked the end of support for Microsoft's Windows XP.

Written By

Casey_boy

April 09, 2014 // 14:40 PM GMT

windows_xp-07.jpg
Windows XP loading screen

We will remember April 8, 2014 as the day Microsoft ended support for the 13-year old Windows XP operating system (OS). The OS is now classed as end-of-life (EOL) meaning that Microsoft will no longer provide security updates for it leaving it open to future attacks from any as-yet undiscovered or unpatched vulnerabilities.

User share for Windows XP has remained stubbornly high, even with the release of three subsequent major Windows iterations, with estimates suggesting that some 20-25% of PCs are still running it. These machines are now at very serious risk of being exploited.

Kasperskys Senior Research Analyst, David Emm, states that:

Our data indicates that less than one fifth of our customers run Windows XP but more than a quarter of infections are Windows XP-based

This ratio is only going to worsen as security updates are no longer provided and all exploits essentially become zero-day exploits (i.e. they will always be open to attack). Unlike older versions of Windows which have also reached EOL, Windows XP has such a large user base that malware vendors will still find it lucrative enough to attack.

Many companies have not upgraded to the later OS versions due to the perceived costs. Obviously, there is some cost associated with buying new OS software, migrating old systems or software to the new OS and supporting/training the workforce in how to use it. However, with the news that governments and companies alike are spending huge amounts of money (£5.5million, or around $9.2m USD, in the case of the UK government) to be provided with extended support, and add to that the cost of clean up or data loss in the case of exploits, one has to wonder how long they can delay the inevitable.

The only real option at this point is to completely isolate any Windows XP machines (no internet, networks or file transfers), upgrade to a newer version of Windows (e.g. Windows 7 or 8.1) or to move to Linux.

Further Reading:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496246/end-of-support-for-windows-xp-sp3-is-april-8-2014/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26884167
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/end-support-help

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

I got a batch of updates for my XP this morning...KB2922229, KB2936068, KB2878303, KB2878299, KB2878236 and a few others. :huh:

Also, for the past week the volume of my calls has quadrupled....people are freaking over the End of Life notification they're seeing when they log in...its Y2K all over again...

Edited by Netghost56, 09 April 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#3 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I got a batch of updates for my XP this morning...KB2922229, KB2936068, KB2878303, KB2878299, KB2878236 and a few others. :huh:

They were released yesterday (the last day of support) - I guess they only came through for you today though.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#4 wardr

wardr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

Awesome! So by the end of the summer we should have entire legions of these old Windows XP botnet's scouring the Internet - all with unsuspecting users left wondering why that darn fan never seems to ever go off in their computer tower anymore.  They'll probably become so numerous and problematic they might even don a new name (ie. spam = unsolicited email or troll = annoying online person).  I wonder what kind of name we will don this new brand of helpless malware ridden botnet laden network of zombie computers.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

I wonder what kind of name we will don this new brand of helpless malware ridden botnet laden network of zombie computers.

The April 8 BotNet.

We cant call it the Windows BotNet as that may infringe on Microsofts copyright. LOL LOL.

Edited by NickAu1, 09 April 2014 - 11:51 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

I can see the day coming when the botnets will start fighting each other for control of the XP Winternet.... haha!

#7 wardr

wardr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

I wonder what kind of name we will don this new brand of helpless malware ridden botnet laden network of zombie computers.

The April 8 BotNet.

We cant call it the Windows BotNet as that may infringe on Microsofts copyright. LOL LOL.

My old place of employment was still running windows xp on thousands of their computers when I left there last year, with absolutely no sign of switching to anything else. I imagine there must be quite a few businesses in the same boat. Question is are they going to upgrade to 7 or 8.1?

#8 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

I would guess the main reluctance of folks to move away from XP is cost--not just for the OS, but to upgrade (or replace) the PC to be able to handle a later OS.  XP would run fine in 1 gig of RAM, but 7 should have at least 4 optimally. 

Plus there's the comfort level.  XP's been around a long time, folks don't like changing to something they see as "completely new" and thus "scary."

#9 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

with each new iteration of windows getting saddled with more and more hinderances added in the name of "helping", it's little suprise that a lot of people would stick with something whose idiosyncracies have largely been hammered down. It's too bad MS doesn't have the good sense to compile all the updates released since SP3 as a "final service pack";  development marches on, but already existant software doesn't, and sometimes that old program that doesn't play nice with newer OS iterations isn't something that can be replaced, meaning sometimes you need to keep an older machine around running an older OS; no really good reason to not provide one last easily-managed thing for hammering out as many kinks as possible for people in that scenario.

but regardless, I'd actually not be too suprised to see XP-related problems drop off, all things; malware jerks want to be the biggest nuisance possible, which means going for whatever has the biggest market share. with XP support ended, and with hardware marching on, more will be forced to move to newer iterations of windows, and moreover, since win8.1 is the current "default" thing that new machines will come with, targetting it simply makes more sense from the perspective of "affect the largest number of users". market share is a powerful factor in software development, be the development for good or for evil. that's why linux doesn't see many problems compared to windows; the market share is tiny by comparison. :P where's the "fun" in only annoying a few people? that's the price of market dominance; ultimately. even if noone bothers trying to dethrone you, there's sure to be someone looking to make things a hassle working with you.

#10 wardr

wardr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Maybe it's just me or maybe I just haven't used an XP machine in a while (over a year), but I think windows 7 is a nice upgrade to XP. There are a few things that I find absolutely useless such as libraries, but it works more or less the same. In contrast 8.1 is a gigantic leap in another direction and surely many users would find themselves lost coming from XP (or 7). The biggest thing I never got which is why I downgraded from 8 back to 7 is why Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to have regular "apps" and "metro" apps. Many times the same program can be found with both on the same machine - it just made no sense.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

Now the biggest issue with upgrading Windows XP has to be addressed. Unless one was to upgrade to Windows Vista, The upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 is very tedious and time consuming to say the least.

You can not simply put in a windows 7 upgrade disc and have it upgrade XP to windows 7. You have no choice but to do a clean install and transfer your files using the easy file transfer wizard software provided by Microsoft. It does not move your Windows registry or your programs directory and forces you to do a clean install of all your programs and some data saves (like from computer games) will be lost if not backed up before the over-write takes place.

I don't know why they choose to do it that way, but they did and never made any attempt to change that before April 8 so upgrading from XP to either 7 or windows 8.1 would be trouble free for the average user.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

And I wonder about people who are still using pre-XP apps to run their businesses, such as mine (using Professional File and Armor Advantage DOS and UNIX software with emulators to run on XP).

I liken it to being forced to put down the family horse in favor of a Ford Taurus.

PS: Oreo makes me feel all warm and mushy inside :inlove:

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

You can keep the horse, just don't ride it on the roads... lol

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

You can keep the horse, just don't ride it on the roads... lol

:thumbup2: :thumbup2:

#15 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

The April 8 BotNet.

My old place of employment was still running windows xp on thousands of their computers when I left there last year, with absolutely no sign of switching to anything else. I imagine there must be quite a few businesses in the same boat. Question is are they going to upgrade to 7 or 8.1?

For many  businesses the cost of getting new software is prohibiting them from upgrading.  I have an eye doctor who has so much eye scanning software being used in his office, he can't afford to make the change from XP.  The operating system cost would be a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of upgrading the software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users