Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hey Mac users

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

Hey there,

I've never used the Mac OS. In my work place there is 3 or 4 Macs. I'm not required to use them but I'd like to get to grips with them just encase they have any problems.

Anyone know any guides on using the Mac OS?

Thanks,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hey there,

I've never used the Mac OS. In my work place there is 3 or 4 Macs. I'm not required to use them but I'd like to get to grips with them just encase they have any problems.

Anyone know any guides on using the Mac OS?

Thanks,

Darktune

What kind of guides are you looking for? Guides on how to some specific task? Or some overall guide/book/manual on how to use the Mac OS?

If it is the former, then my suggestion would to just Google the specific task you want to do/learn and you will likely get a number of guide/tutorials listed...both written and probably videos.

If it is the latter, then you might want to either get one of the Missing Manual series books (each version of the Mac OS has it's own book) or maybe one of the For Dummies books (there is a generic one coving Macs overall and OS version specific ones). The other option is a Take Control series book...they have eBooks for a number of Mac related topics.

The other overall option is just start using one of the Macs. In reality, the Mac OS is very similar to Windows (except for the new Modern interface side of Windows 8) for most things. There are subtle and not so subtle differences that might frustrate you, but if you encounter some thing that you need help with, then just ask.

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I think I will take your advice and just go hands on. We do have a spare Macbook somewhere.

Darktune

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

I would suggest you use a "Standard" account rather than an "Administrator" account. While it is still somewhat hard to mess something up with an Admin account (most "serious" things you might accidently do will require the Admin account password to complete), it is almost impossible to really mess something up with a Standard account (other than deleting your own documents, etc).

You might need someone to setup a Standard account for you if one is not already setup.

Edited by smax013, 09 April 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#5 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the advice!

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:24 AM

Glad to help. If you do have any specific question on how to do something, then you can always post back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users