Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop motherboard exchange.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MJPC

MJPC

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

Hello,

if i buy used motherboard for my laptop, do i then must know some excact id or part numbers to get it work with my laptop lcd and other components?

Example: ibm x60s. Can i just buy x60s motherbord from ebay without knowing more detailed info?

Sorry for bad english.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

I think problems you will have with this is size. I'm not great on MOBO's but you'll have to be careful of the design and size of the motherboard. Although the one you buy may be an x60 and may be compatible with your LCD screen and other PCI's it may be to big for your laptop or it may not fit correctly. I'd so some research on the motherboard before purchasing

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 ITGeekGirl

ITGeekGirl

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

Honestly - with the cost of most laptop motherboards - you'd be better off buying a new laptop. Laptop components are made specific - so you need the EXACT motherboard that will fit into your laptop. They're not like desktops at all. There's no standard. And those specific motherboards that fit into your laptop? They're usually only $100+ cheaper than the whole laptop. 

If you're looking to put together something on a budget that you can upgrade later, go desktop. 

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

You will need to pull the exact numbers from your current motherboard and order the exact replacement. To get the numbers you will need to take the computer apart completely to get to the motherboard.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

Example: ibm x60s. Can i just buy x60s motherbord from ebay without knowing more detailed info?

sometimes you could do that but sometimes you couldnt do that because one type of Notebook sometimes use different Mainboard. you need to disassemble it to check Mainboard Brand and Type / Product Number / Parts Number.

I think problems you will have with this is size. I'm not great on MOBO's but you'll have to be careful of the design and size of the motherboard. Although the one you buy may be an x60 and may be compatible with your LCD screen and other PCI's it may be to big for your laptop or it may not fit correctly. I'd so some research on the motherboard before purchasing

Darktune

FYI, if you looking only on size than you will have some problem in future, maybe its fit on Notebook but on Windows it will need Driver based on that Mainboard and sometimes its need to modification on Keyboard and Touchpad Cable as it will be different design.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

FYI, if you looking only on size than you will have some problem in future, maybe its fit on Notebook but on Windows it will need Driver based on that Mainboard and sometimes its need to modification on Keyboard and Touchpad Cable as it will be different design.

Although the one you buy may be an x60 and may be compatible with your LCD screen and other PCI's

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Honestly - with the cost of most laptop motherboards - you'd be better off buying a new laptop. Laptop components are made specific - so you need the EXACT motherboard that will fit into your laptop. They're not like desktops at all. There's no standard. And those specific motherboards that fit into your laptop? They're usually only $100+ cheaper than the whole laptop. 

If you're looking to put together something on a budget that you can upgrade later, go desktop. 

Concur, financial resources permitting..

It's time that we all acknowledge that laptops are throwaway computers, not intended to be anything other than the precursor of future models.  So many new models come out each week/month...that the manufacturers have ceased to even provide support data for models which previously would have remained on file forever.\

I'm not a "tech" of any sort, so the idea of taking a laptop apart is just too much work for so little return in my world.

Louis

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

Laptops are still generally repairable, though I agree not always cost effective. Tablets on the other hand are terrible. With adhered/glued in screens, they require too much time, too much effort to make it worth repair on the majority of the cheep models. Having to wear saftey glasses to do electronic disassembly/repair is new to me. Cleaning up the entire surface to put in a new digitzer (touch screen) is no fun and time consuming.

Edited by zingo156, 10 April 2014 - 02:36 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users