Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate "Open With" Context Menu Entries and Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fadeliss

fadeliss

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:48 AM

Hello My name is Andrew, and I have a weird one.

When I Right Click On certain files I receive 2 open with context menu options.

One works, and the other doesn't.
more specifically, when I right click on a document file I receive 2 of the menus, 

when I right click on an "unknown file type" I only receive the one - the one that doesn't work.

when I right click on Mp3's or other known media types, I still get only the one "Open With" that doesn't work.

The Open with that doesn't work Gives me a file association error which makes me think it's a shell issue so...

I have spent a couple hours on ShellExView and ShellMenuView removing all non-microsoft shell menu's and i even un-selected hide standard menu items to see if I could find this duplicate "Open With"

If I do a registry edit, I can remove all the context menu's but that one, which is weird, including the "Open (openas)" and "OpenDLG" Just to see if those were it, I ended up only removing the working "Open" Context Menu to which I have put back.

I frequently change file associations via the properties context menu. Sometimes I open Batch files to edit them with notepad and "Open With" is normally very useful for me. So changing default file associations is not really what I need help with.

Thank you to anyone who responds.

Attached are a few Images of what happens.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fadeliss

fadeliss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

Bump ?

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

Never seen this one,following link might be worth a look,hopefully someone might have had this and assist.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/28677-new-context-menu-remove-restore-default-menu-items.html

#4 fadeliss

fadeliss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

Hey thank's but nothing too helpful there! Appreciate the insight though.
Bump!

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:08 AM

Cant find a thing on greyed out duplicates,and ive never seen it hopefully someone knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users