Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ladyparadise

Ladyparadise

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:13 AM

[color=#3366FF]
I am having a problem with my DVD Drive. I have a Dell Dimention 2400 xp home edition.
The DVD Drive was installed by the manufacturer. It was working. Now when I put a DVD in the drive
I can hear it working. I use windows media player to play DVDs. when I go to Windows Media Player and insert a DVD, nothing happens. I can hear the disc spinning. When I click on play, Windows Media Player says there is no disc in the drive. Its as if Media Player doesnt even recodnize that I have a DVD Drive.
I have played DVDs there before with no problem. I have looked in HELP with Dell, Media Player and Help and Support Windows XP. I cant find a solution. My MP3 is not working either. CDs work fine. Someone else out there must have had this problem. Any suggestions will be Greatly Appreciated. I have tried everything I know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:27 AM

Of course your drive may be damaged, but given the fact that you have just gone through some software issues, perhaps this is software related.

Upgrade to Windows Media Player 10. You can download this HERE.

As far as cd's working.... is this in the same drive?

MP3's don't work? Are they trying to play in Windows Media Player also? If so, then it really points to the software.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Ladyparadise

Ladyparadise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:05 PM

I upgraded Media Player to 10.
There are 3 drives one for cd play and burn. This one works.
Another one for playing DVDs. This one has the problem.
And one to put diskettes in. Dont know anything about this one.
I tried to copy data on the 3rd one but was never sucessful.
Sorry I ment the 3rd one not mp3.

I put a CD in the DVD drive and it worked. It will not work for a DVD.
Media Player 10 says the drive is busy when I put in a DVD.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

It sounds like the DVD drive lens could use a cleaning. You can clean it with a special CD/DVD cleaning disc with a fuzzy surface or do it by removing the drive and opening the top cover and wiping the lens with a tissue wetted slightly with rubbing alcohol.

If either of these cleaning methods don't work then the drive may need to be replaced.

#5 Ladyparadise

Ladyparadise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:01 PM

Thanks Pascor

I will try that.

Ladyparadise

0 user(s) are reading this topic