Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with my friends computer ruining my USB devices.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RevinTrevin

RevinTrevin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

So I have finally come to realize my friends computer keeps ruining my USB devices. So far it has ruined 2 external HDD and a Mouse. I don't know what's causing it because the devices aren't completely ruined, they just don't work normally? My mouse and both my HDD were working perfectly until I plugged them into my friends computer and now they don't work. One of my External drives works in one of my USB slots but not the rest? My mouse no longer works wired, it only works with the wireless receiver that uses the same cord to connect the mouse via USB. I am so confused by what's even happenning?

The first External HDD just became "USB devices not recognized" or "Device driver didn't install properly"

Same with the second HDD external one except it works in one of my USB slots.

My mouse won't work when I connect it wired USB but I can disconnect the USB cord from the mouse and plug it into a wireless receiver and it works now?

Can anyone help explain this dilemma to me and if there are ways to fix both his computer from future damage to other USB devices, and my USB devices?

Thanks for your time,

Revin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Welcome Revin,

Let's work on one system at a time. If your friend doesn't want to wait until you have a clean operational system I'd suggest he / she go to the forum where help is available from trained volunteer staff. Doing it yourself can make the problem worse.

Turn off your system, plug in your USB devices and turn on the system. Let it boot to the desktop. Watch carefully for any indications of problems and report any error messages. From the desktop check to see if you can access each of the USB devices.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 RevinTrevin

RevinTrevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

I rebooted with my mouse plugged into all of my USB slot each. The mouse was not recognized or even registered it existed by the system in 2 slots. in the other 3 slots it just said "USB device not recognized" I unistalled the "Unknown Device" which was my mouse and tried to reinstall the device drivers and it just says it can't be installed.  Need more info? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hello,

Many USB problems result from conflict of drivers if enough devices are added to the USB ports. This may not be your problem but try the solution here. Note: you have to use either the 32bit or 64bit version depending on your OS and make sure the exe file is in the right directory.

C:\Windows\System32

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 April 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#5 RevinTrevin

RevinTrevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:36 AM

Yeah pretty sure my devices are just fried. I just don't understand why my mouse will work wirelessly and not USB? It must just be the USB part of the mouse is fried? 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

When you attach the USB HDD's do they show up in Disk Managment?

#7 RevinTrevin

RevinTrevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

They show up in device manager as "Unknown Device".
One shows up in Disk Management the other one doesnt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users