Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive/flash drive issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

Whenever I connect an external hard drive/flash drive to my computer, it takes an unusual amount of time for my laptop to recognize the drive. My laptop always recognizes the drives I connect to my laptop, but they're very much delayed. I'm talking about 30-45 seconds for my laptop to recognize the drives. Is this an issue? Should i connect to my drives once, then disconnect and re-connect again just to make sure the drives REALLY are connected. I've noticed whenever I connect to a drive, then disconnect and reconnect again, it takes 2 seconds for my laptop to recognize the drive. Should I do this from now on or does t ever matter?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

If the computer has not been restarted since the last time that hard drive/flash drive has been connected it will connect faster because it doesn't have to scann and index everything on the device again.

30-45 seconds isn't really that long, depending on size of the hard drive/flash drive, and what is on it, if it took more than 3-4 minutes for a flash drive and 5-7 minutes for a hard drive I would be concerned.

The laptop builds a cache that keeps an idea of what is on the flash drive/hard drive when it is plugged in, and it remembers which port it was plugged into, but this cache is cleared when the computer is restarted, so it has to rebuild that cache, thats why its taking longer.  If you plug in aflash drive and wait for it, then unplug and replug into the same port it will go faster, but unplugging and moving it to a different port it will probably take around the same time as the first time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users