Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The installation of my 1tb WD passport external hard drive failed. Need help.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

Or so it said it did. I wish I had written down the problem so I could give you as much detail as possible. My apologies for this. But what I'm confused with is that when I try to transfer files onto the drive, I'm able to do this. I even double checked by disconnecting and connecting the drive back into my laptop, and the files I backed up onto it were still there, still accessable. I even wrote down in a text document the exact size down to the last byte of the folders I transfered onto the drive, and nothing had changed. If the installation had failed, why am I able to back up and recover files from the drive? I think the problem was that I didn't connect my laptop to the 3.0 usb port. I've been a Seagate fan for the last 4 years, and all their drives I've connected to my laptop using the 2.0 usb port on my computer. Could this have been the problem? Also, there was this little pamphlet in the box holding the drive that instructs I need to open this application on the drive. Is this neccessary? It has to do with getting updates. Again, I'm able to back up and recover files from the drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hi,

Is the drive connected and powered up when you boot the laptop?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

I've had those erroneous errors from Windows also, claiming something like  'device may not have install correctly" blah blah blah...

I think the fact of the matter is is that if the device works correctly it did actually install correctly, and what has the error is Windows; trying to figure out if it installed correctly or not.

Running that little Seagate application will just dump junkware on your system, I tried one of those things once. Waste of space.

If the message persists, and it bothers you, remove the drive under devices from the control panel. Re-start the machine and then re-attach the drive for it to re-install the drivers. Probably not necessary though, as you can often click the "this device installed correctly" button when it spits the error, and it will go away forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users