Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Won't Boot Without Bootdisk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 edawg

edawg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:58 PM

Hi.
I recently installed xp on a HP xe783 with a cuw-am MOBO. The computer came with ME and only had the
recovery disks. The computer got zapped with a virus and the recovery disks would not recover the system.
My son wanted to keep the computer going so I installed the xp. After a few trial and errors I finally got the
OS going. Now the computer won't boot into windows without a boot disk. I did a fixboot and got nowhere.
I went through the repair console. The boot.ini file is written the way it is supposed to be The boot disk I am
using has just boot.ini, ntldr, and the ntdetect.com files. At first the boot file on the disk was wrong and it gave me a message "invalid boot booting from c:\windows. It would then boot into windows and run fine.
I fixed the boot.ini on the disk and now it goes straight to a screen that asks what windows to use. I can pick
xp or default, when I pick xp it continues and runs great. If I don't use the boot disk it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Let me know if you need more
info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:54 AM

Hi, and welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

How did you do this installation, was it an upgrade to XP? Or did you wipe out ME first? If so, how did you do it? Did you create a new partition to put XP onto?

I fixed the boot.ini on the disk and now it goes straight to a screen that asks what windows to use. I can pick
xp or default,

This statement is the basis for my questions. Why does the boot.ini file reference two operating systems?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 edawg

edawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:29 PM

Hi and Thanks for the the Welcome.

I did a clean install by fdisk ing the HD. I used an install disk, XP Pro. I am not sure why it references
two OS's. I was wondering if the bios has to be updated. I am not sure if the bios still thinks that ME is
still installed instead of the XP. Once it boots everything seems to run fine. I got a bios update called
tort-304.exe. In the list of compatible systems mine is listed. xe 783. It says it is for xp on a cuw-am
MOBO. Need any more info let me know.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:06 AM

Looks like you installed two op systems instead of fdisking and doing a fresh install of XP.

Looks like you need to completely wipe the disk and do a fresh XP install.

Disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner, exterior hard drive, speakers, etc), and wipe the system completely then do a fresh install of Windows XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users