Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup password prevents me from accessing Acer 7720

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 misscakes

misscakes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

I was working on my friends laptop which is acer 7720, and has win 7 on it...well when it starts up, he had a password which I know what it was cuz like I said I was removing viruses.  well I went into bios to set the boot order up to start off my jump drive so I could work on it using spotmau...well I went to password area and entered in the old password, then it had two more spots asking for new password....so I jus hit enter enter thinking it was leaving the password part blank....welllllllll that didn't work...cuz after I saved and exited bios it restarted asking for password still and its not the old one, and its not letting me in by hitting enter...idk what to do to get back in...I feel terrible about it cuz here I am helping them, and then I lock everyone out of the computer....sooooooo I used the other comp to research other options.  I found a few things that they say could work, but if anyone on here has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it....plz somebody help if you can....otherwise ima try n hook it up to other comp and see if it reads it and will let me go into it to find startup password....its a great way to have to learn something new, but I still feel horrible about it.  thank you to all who takes time to read this....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

if you are comfortable taking the computer apart i know removing the CMOS batter for about a half hour should work.

#3 misscakes

misscakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

I took off the back pieces to allow me to see inside where the memory and things go..i found the battery but its got metal saudered on to the board and the piece of metal that touches the battery is lkike attached to battery...idk that I should mess with it cuz its very delicate and I don't wanna have the pieces snap off the board cuz I don't know how to suader

#4 roadrage

roadrage

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Hey misscakes,

Are you basically asking us that you want to bios password hack into a friends computer, well then there are ways but I can't tell you sorry, hacking is not a prefered method I believe here in the forums, I may be wrong but this is probably your best bet is to go to the manufactures web site and look for the default password for that motherboard bios, thats legal.

Edited by roadrage, 08 April 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#5 misscakes

misscakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

thank you and I understand, its ok, I just found a site with info that I hope will work...ill let yall know if it does....keep fingers crossed

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Asking for an unknown password makes me think he got one of those call saying he has computer trouble and to let them try to fix it.  Ask him if that happened, if it did you may have your hands full. 

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#7 misscakes

misscakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

well no, i was on the computer just fine, but then went into bios to remove password, and also change boot order to boot fropm my jumpdrive..well i entered old password then just hit enter where it asked for new one....and when i restarted it...it aslks for a pw, but old one isnt working and neither is just hitting enter...im stumped....and they r being so patient but i hate when something like this happens

#8 misscakes

misscakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

CASE SOLVED---THX FOR THE HELP EVERYONE

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

Glad to hear you got it worked out. However, for further reference this was probably due to the new UEFI bios secure boot option not allowing a bootable device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users