Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is the difference between windows 8.1 and windows 8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

upon login today my windows 8 machine asked if i wanted to update to windows 8.1. is that a security update or is normal windows 8 still getting security updates. furthermore on a site i found it mentioned that "windows store apps" (i've never used the things i keep to the desktop stuff not the metro merde) would need reinstalling after the change, what about normal programs and exe files, some of those programs being installed from installer exe files originally copied over from my xp machine. would "updating" to 8.1 cause loss of programs(chrome, sketchup, GIMP,blender,firefox, avg, malwarebytes(free),vlc, microsoft office word, powerpoint, etc) which one installs and has, somewhere or other on the system, an exe file for.

need answers to this before i can decide if the 8.1 "upgrade" is worth doing, thanks.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

As far as I know, 8.1 is mostly just a UI (user interface) update. They just added some tweaks to make it easier to use. I don't think there are any major changes. I am pretty sure 8 is still going to get security updates, because they're mostly the same.

When I upgraded to 8.1, the only things that were removed were the apps. In other words, anything that I installed from the Windows store itself was wiped. If you downloaded/installed a program from the internet or a disc, it will not be deleted. None of the programs you listed will be removed.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

As far as I know, 8.1 is mostly just a UI (user interface) update. They just added some tweaks to make it easier to use. I don't think there are any major changes

Other than the UI , Kernel and core components also changed. If you check official support page of a modern laptop, you will see separate driver downloads for Win8 and 8.1. 

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

Hi,

would "updating" to 8.1 cause loss of programs

No.

i can decide if the 8.1 "upgrade" is worth doing

It is :)

One major benefit, seeing as you don't use Windows Store apps, is to boot straight to the desktop.

Casey

Edited by Casey_boy, 09 April 2014 - 12:07 PM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

is windows 8.1 needed for any security updates, if it isn't i'm not really sure there is any reason to change. yes, booting to stupid metro interface is annoying but one click later you are back to the civilised world of the desktop.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

is windows 8.1 needed for any security updates

Not yet, but there will probably come a time when it is.

if it isn't i'm not really sure there is any reason to change

Personally, I would say the oppposite. There is really no reason not to update. You're getting added improvements with very minimal risk of something going wrong.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

According to this you have until 1/12/2016 to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users