Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgot pw- recovery/reset programs aren't working (Windows 7 Professional)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mickapoo

mickapoo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

I am on Dell Optiplex 780 running Windows 7 Professional. I recently obtained this computer from a family member. However, they could not remember the log in for it (when you first turn it on you go through ctrl-alt-del then are prompted to enter password).

I tried Ophcrack, it said it was not able to crack any passwords.

I also tried Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. This did not work either. I had a little bit of trouble with it- the username listed in the welcome screen was not one of those listed when I ran the tool. So, if someone is familiar enough with it maybe they can help me figure out what I am doing wrong? If not, some other way for me to recover or reset my password?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2014 - 02:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Use Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to enable the Hidden Administrator Account. Once that is enabled you can change the password of the the other accounts using the Administrator Account.

#3 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. The Administrator account isn't hidden in the Edit User Data and Passwords section. The administrator account is there. But that is not the account/username that is listed when the log in screen appears (when Windows first boots up).  In any event, because the username was not listed there, I did try selecting Administrator, then clear password (option 1).   But then when I rebooted I received an error. Are you saying to select Administrator and then enter option 4? Thank you.

Edited by mickapoo, 08 April 2014 - 01:47 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

At #6  of step 3 you should see a list of accounts, Administrator being one of them with a dis/lock under the Lock column. Type Administrator and then enter. At the next screen you should see a check mark next to disabled. Then select 4 and follow the rest of the steps exactly. When you log in after boot with Ctrl+Alt+Del type administrator as a user with no password.

#5 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Ok, I followed the instructions you provided above. When I rebooted my computer, I clicked "switch user" so I could enter a different username (Administrator). I then entered Administrator for the username and left the pw field blank. I hit enter and then received an error, "there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request."

Thank you for your help!

Edited by mickapoo, 08 April 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Your computer may have been part of a company domain that needed to login to the server. At least that is what I think. You will have to google about network domain passwords and go from there. I am not allowed to help any further, sorry. In order to remove a network domain password, the computer has to be connected to the network from which it came I believe. They may be a way to change from a domain to a workgroup offline but I do not know of it. 

image%7B0%7D%5B4%5D.png

#7 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Ok thank you anyway. The strange thing is, for the past few days, we were able to log on to this account (not the Administrator username but the username/account that comes up when we first boot up Windows). So I know that we do have the capability to successfully log in if we had the password. Since then we lost the paper with the password on it and, like I mentioned earlier, the original user (my sister) cannot remember it. Is there anyway to recover or reset the password to the account/username that is listed on the log in screen?

Edited by mickapoo, 08 April 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

What shows up if you go into safe mode by pressing F8?

Edit: In #6 of step 3 of the link I gave does it list the account of your sister.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 April 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#9 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I want to thank you for your help. I booted in safe mode and it still prompted me for the log in, I used Administrator and left pw blank, and it let me in! There's too many other issues, this having been a company computer at one time, so we did just decide to do a clean install. Thank you for your help!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Your welcome and thanks for the update. One thing you might want to do in the future is back up the hard drive of the computer with a program like Macrium Free. It will let you create a bootable disk with a small download that can be used to restore the hard drive in case of either a malware infection that cannot be removed or a hard drive failure. The disk or system image would be backed up to an external USB drive. If you do decide to use this software, I recommend you download it from Softpedia.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Another nice free backup software that can also back up files is Aoemi Backupper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users