Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hm3buzz

hm3buzz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

I have a PC that for whatever reason, won't get past the Windows splash screen. I've tried everything I can think of from trying to repair the Windows XP installation, to replacing the hard drive totally and installing Windows 7. It accepts the disc, downloads the installation file, then stops at the splash screen again. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement. Can anyone shed any light on this and help me? It's a Dell Vostro 230 had Windows XP on it I'm looking to get it up and running as it will be used as a workstation in a small business environment for Word documents and such. Replacing it really isn't an option due to budget constraints. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

The original installation disk is needed to do a proper REPAIR of the OS.  An install will rewrite over everything.

#3 hm3buzz

hm3buzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

I know an install will rewrite over everything, I'm not concerned about that as the data has been backed up. My concern is that even during a clean install, the PC won't get past the splash screen. It stops at that point and proceeds no further. 

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

Something in the OS is not happy with the hardware and it can't locate the proper file.  BIOS settings could be the cause too.  Memory settings or even some processor options can confuse things for the OS.   The only other time a unit failed to install was an IDE interface chip on the MOBO failed and was writing garbage to the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users