Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to correct system restore error 0x81000204

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mkt1email

mkt1email

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

I have a lenovo IdeaPad z580 with an i5-3210M CPU  and 8 gb ram 64 bit windows 8

My system restore is not working and gives me 0x81000204 error.

the computer is acting goofy in last 3 days and I need to restore.

Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

Hi

have you tried offline system restore ( system restore from outside of Windows ) ?. If not, please try option one from the below tutorial.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4692-system-restore-how-do-windows-8-a.html 

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Let me suggest that you completely abandon System Restore and switch to disc imaging. System Restore is great when it works, but there are simply too many times when it doesn't. And even when it does, it's limited in what it restores. Disc Imaging is simply the best method of backing you your data and drive(s) and when done on a regular basis assures you never have to worry about being able to retrieve data or get your system up and running again after almost any problem.

#4 RDN

RDN

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:24 AM

Let me suggest that you completely abandon System Restore and switch to disc imaging. System Restore is great when it works, but there are simply too many times when it doesn't. And even when it does, it's limited in what it restores. Disc Imaging is simply the best method of backing you your data and drive(s) and when done on a regular basis assures you never have to worry about being able to retrieve data or get your system up and running again after almost any problem.

Now you tell me!!  OK, I know this is an old thread.

Seriously, I do make images regularly - every couple of weeks on my main XP machine - but didn't on my new-ish laptop while I was setting up Windows 10.

On XP, System Restores worked fairly well, ie. didn't fail often.

On Windows 10, I haven't had a single Restore work. OK, I only tried three times (three different restore points), but you'd think one of them would work.

So it's back to a re-install of W10. Fortunately I haven't spent too much time on this laptop, but "Hey, Microsoft, thanks a bundle".

Windows XP Pro (fully updated), Firefox 1.0.7, Acer Travelmate 4603WLMi: Intel Pentium M 750, 768 MB DDR2 RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X700 PCI Express 128 MB VRAM, DVD, Bluetooth.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:31 AM

System Restore has its place.

It is not a substitute for backup.

I do frequent disk images and daily backups of volatile (personal) data.

Because of the "frequency", I will create System Restore points before making changes to my system such as installing/uninstalling software, virus/malware scans, etc. in case something goes wrong.

If I were doing a system upgrade, or a change with wider scope than above, then I would do a disk image first.

Edited by jwoods301, 10 July 2017 - 02:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users