Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with changing from XP to windows 7.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rwarren10

rwarren10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Hello everyone. 

I am new to this forum.

I am looking to upgrade a system from xp to windows 7. Its actually for a friend of mine who has a newsagents business. The tills that operate on the shop floor run software called reposs which is a point of sale software. This runs off the upstairs PC which is currently running windows xp. However i am looking to upgrade to windows 7. The issue is that the main pc located upstairs cannot be shut down as this will crash the downstairs tills/systems, basically upstairs pc is acting as a server. Any advice on how to get around this?

Would waiting until the shop closes and then completing the switch be an option or will this still crash the tills?

I know i will have to backup all the data onto an external hard disk as well. Just need help with the acting server upstairs situation.

Thanks 

Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

We have exactly the same problem with our till systems. Our till system (which also run XP) doesn't expire for a while (2020 i think). It's difficult to say how you can do this, but the best advice i can give is do it at down time. This will turn the tills off but if you back up all your data it should be ok.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Does your friend have a support package with Reposs; might be worth a call, if you get stuck.
Helpdesk available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, according to their site.
0845 0945 200 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users