Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan issue with iMac computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mark16

Mark16

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

My brother has an issue with his iMac computer. His fan makes a loud noise when he runs videos , or his Avast anti virus for Mac's is running.

He had the hard drive replaced about a year ago, but the issue has just arrived recently.

Looking for a solution. Hopefully from someone who had the issue and resolved it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Dust may be causing the computer to run hotter than normal. The fan will run at a higher speed. I recommend dusting out the computer. Imacs are difficult to dust out. Sometimes they require dis-assembly which is not easy in most cases. Try blowing air through the intake and exhaust use canned air or an air compressor with nozzle, do not use PSI over 40. Each imac is different. Do a google search for your particular model and how to dust it out.

Edited by zingo156, 08 April 2014 - 09:23 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Steviejeep

Steviejeep

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:04 PM

Dust may be causing the computer to run hotter than normal. The fan will run at a higher speed. I recommend dusting out the computer. Imacs are difficult to dust out. Sometimes they require dis-assembly which is not easy in most cases. Try blowing air through the intake and exhaust use canned air or an air compressor with nozzle, do not use PSI over 40. Each imac is different. Do a google search for your particular model and how to dust it out.

+1
Disassembly guides found here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:17 PM

I agree that dust may just be causing temperatures to rise and thus causing the fan(s) to kick on.

OTOH, it could also be the fan bearings starting to fail, which then would likely make the fan louder. That happened to me with my original 2006 15" MacBook Pro. The one fan started to fail, which then led to the it making a lot of noise when it spun up due to higher temps. I bought a replacement fan from ifixit.com and replaced it myself. Not "minor surgery", but I believe still easier to do than an iMac from what I understand.

The original poster might want to install something to check the temperature and/or fan speeds. Personally, I use iStat Menus for this, but there are other options I believe.

#5 spark33

spark33

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

if cleaning the dust from the fan does not solve the problem than i am afraid you will have to replace the fan as smax013 has said.  you tube instructions example:

just make sure you choose correct model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users