Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What realy needs to run at start up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 busygal

busygal

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

I am wondering what realy needs to run at start up. i did a msconfig and messed things up so now i am running my windows 7 on seletive start up but i realy have no idea of the programs in there can you help me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Hi,

Exactly what you need will depend on what you do. I run 'selective' as well. I have installed several programs which I use from time to time. They do not need to start every time I turn on the computer. So, they are disabled until I need them.

Look at each line in Startup and determine if it's something you need. If it is leave it enabled. If you aren't sure, ask. One of us will have a suggestion / opinion / recommendation. It will still remain your choice.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Hi

The only item which shouldn't be disabled in any cases is your Antivirus. Disabling other items depended on whether you wanted a program to run at startup or not ( for example, disabling "synaptic utility" will affect the function of touchpad - in case of laptops) . If you are not sure, please run Malwarebytes startuplite. This handy tool will help you in identifying what each startup entry is for.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite/

You can easily enable or disable an item without messing with MSCONFIG.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 April 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

Simple

I like that

:thumbsup:

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Hi

The only item which shouldn't be disabled in any cases is your Antivirus. Disabling other items depended on whether you wanted a program to run at startup or not ( for example, disabling "synaptic utility" will affect the function of touchpad - in case of laptops) . If you are not sure, please run Malwarebytes startuplite. This handy tool will help you in identifying what each startup entry is for.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite/

You can easily enable or disable an item without messing with MSCONFIG.

The only thing I have set to run at start up is Eset Smart Security on my laptop and my desktop.

#6 Sarris

Sarris

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

I've been using a program called Startup Delayer to let Window7 x64 boot as fast as possible. 

With this program you can set the delay and order of the other programs to load after boot.

This also prevents programs trying to load over each other and eliminates start-up conflicts.

Available for free here:  http://www.r2.com.au/

Regards;

Sarris

Edited by Sarris, 08 April 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

What's the point of delaying something at startup..via another installed app which runs at startup? :).

The simplest way to "delay" is to just call upon when needed and remove all startup items which are nonessential.  IMO, the AV is the only essential startup item in my list, any others are just whim or laziness on my part, except for MS/Windows processes.

There is no reason at all for most programs to launch their backups, etc, at startup.\

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2014 - 02:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users