Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire Permanent CPU usage %100

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LUBaseball2232

LUBaseball2232

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:37 AM

Hi,

I've spent the last 3-4 months trying to figure out what is making my laptop run so slowly. It first started out as simply trying to get a smoother streaming video (Youtube videos are like picture slide shows, it's infuriating). And I can't visit more than 10-20 pages before I have to delete my history/cookies and all that because it slows to an absolute crawl. Then I noticed that the System Interrupts were double the average (85,000ish to my 163,000ish). Even at Start-up without opening a single program it still revs up the CPU to 75%. I ran AVG, Malware Bytes, AdwCleaner and even ComboFix (I know I need "supervision" to run that but frankly I don't care anymore, if I've irrevocably ruined this computer maybe I'll start doing something productive). So it's not virus related. It's not processor/system services related either as I've checked Process Explorer/Procmon. Speed Fan showed the CPU temp to be normal, in the 90's F. but the two processors (Intel Pentium something, the Arrandale one) were on fire at 165 F each. Obviously it's pretty hot to the touch as well. 

After scouring every corner of the internet all I could find was something about processors not communicating properly with drivers so I did everything I could to figure out what the issue was.

Running a Windows 7 hardware device troubleshooter turns up a detection of "Hardware changes might not have been detected." No fix.

I dropped it off of my bed after a night of bar hopping and now it has a thick white strip and a thin yellow strip going down the middle of the display. This was a year ago which is about the time I noticed over-heating problems/maximum fan usage. I disassembled everything to clean out dust and noticed that a wire that went up to the monitor looked like it was hanging on by a thread. Maybe it got yanked somehow in the fall. I also cannot update the Intel HD Graphics driver via Windows Update or by downloading it manually from the site. 

I disabled a few drivers and the one that seems to be causing the System Interrupts is the Intel Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3b34. When I disable it however I am unable to use my Wireless Mouse and it's way too convenient to give up. I uninstalled it and restarted to let Windows re-install it but the massive amount of Interrupts came back. 

I also had an issue with my Power port where a friend had to re-sod it. I guess the heat melted it to the point that I constantly had to rearrange the cord to keep it charged.

Now I'm stuck, what's next?

EDIT: I had 3 views immediately after posting, maybe I'm hijacked lol.

Edited by LUBaseball2232, 08 April 2014 - 02:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

Hi,

If you have the installation disk I'd recommend a fresh start. Then we'd have a known starting point from which to try to determine if there is a problem and if there are ways to solve it and / or improve performance.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 LUBaseball2232

LUBaseball2232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

I forgot to mention that sorry! I actually did re-install Windows recently, however I did not have the Installation disk but rather downloaded it through my sister's college student account. The issue was present before this as well. I did have Windows 7 Home Premium but the college only offered Windows 7 Pro for free so that's the one I got. Downloaded it and then copied the image to a disk and installed it like that. Everything is registered so it should be good to go in that area. The problems are still there so it didn't do much good. 

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

If your processor is getting that hot your laptop will automatically downclock and slow down your system - does the fan kick on to full speed when using the computer?

Was there alot of dust in the computer when you cleaned it out?  I would recommend removing the processor heat sink and clean of off the old thermal paste and apply new paste.

Also with the graphics problems that may already indicate heat damage but its up to you whether you continue to use this laptop or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users