Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm new to forum. Need help! Files have been encrypted.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 holrik

holrik

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

I was very recently struck by what I believe is called ransomware.  I can do without almost everything on my computer except a dozen or so excel files that contained my 2013 tax return information.  It took me well over a month to finish all the work and was just waiting on a couple forms.  I ran into some health problems and had to have surgery in the last few weeks so I didn't get it completed to print...in the meantime I was struck by the encryption bug.  I was finally feeling healthy enough to finish today and, well, I can't open anything.  With another surgery looming, I don't have enough time to recreate and put this information together.  I'm having a hard enough time taking care of my family with the health issues I'm dealing with...this just hit me like a ton of bricks.  They want $1000 ransom! Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

Hello -

Not the best way to be at the moment .............

Can you read anything off your screen, as there are many variations to Ransomware / encryption infections.

Is the screen a certain color, or is there certain writing on it like "Locked by Police" or any help for us at all ??

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

These are three of the more common ransomware infections we have been seeing.

CryptoLocker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ
CryptorBit and HowDecrypt Information Guide and FAQ
CryptoDefense and How_Decrypt Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

Do any of them look like the same ransomware you are dealing with?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 holrik

holrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the quick replies.  It was the CryptoDefense and How_Decrypt.  I tried to run the program that finds the hidden key 50% of the time, but it said it couldn't find a key.  I guess I'm one of the unlucky 50%.  I guess it's time to file an extension :(

Thanks so much for your attempt to help though.

When I get around to dealing with this, I think I'm going to just do a complete factory restore.  Any recommendations for good antivirus software?

I saw the ads for the free stuff on this site.  Is it good?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Not a problem.

In regards to anti-virus protection...There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. Please see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

As for the ads on this site...Sponsored advertisements are shown on the BleepingComputer web site if you are not logged on with your forum account as a registered member. These are AdSense Google Ads which is allowed in order to defray the cost (pay the bills) of maintaining the board. Although the site owner permits ads, we have no control over them and BC does not recommend or endorse any of the advertisements. Sometimes the ads are for downloading junk registry cleaners, optimizers, download managers or other worthless applications we do not recommend. When not logged on, some folks may click the incorrect download link or unknowingly click a link which downloads or attempts to download a program they did not intend to install. If you are logged in with your member account, you should not see any advertisements and that's one reason we encourage our members to always sign in first.

BTW there is a lengthy ongoing discussion in this topic: CryptoDefense - Newest cryptolocker variant. Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion should you change your mind about doing a factory restore.

Thanks
The BC Staff

#6 holrik

holrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

Wow!

Thanks again, both for the antivirus issue info and on tips for using the site. 

God Bless

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users