Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

With a Name Like ''Bleeping Computer,'' How Could I Not Sign Up?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TimberlineThunder

TimberlineThunder

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

I often feel frustrated enough with my PC to call it a #*$@&! So bleeping computer fits perfectly for a help site I can get behind.

As a kid of the late 70s and early 80s, I was enrolled in gifted and talented programs that opened up a lot of possibilities for me, including programming using analog cassettes to store programs. When my folks traded some work for a PC in 1985, I was ecstatic. Yet sports both conventional (football and soccer) and mountain (hiking, trail riding, climbing, skiing and skating) lured me away from spending "too much time," according to my folks, in front of the amber screen that I enjoyed. So my programming never took off and my first replacement PC for that 8088 came in 96, when the internet thing was just taking off.

My name is TimberlineThunder because ResearcherWhoSleepsAlot was too close to the mark. Actually, I love the mountains, and before I got a chronic illness, I loved them even more and my tendency to attract lightning during summer monsoons earned me more than a few nicknames, some more colorful than others. Being out climbing above the trees (above 12,000 ft) is an amazing feeling! Reaching a summit and seeing for dozens of miles (thinner air) is an amazing view! But you really can't live life above the alpine zone because there's no fuel and no food, save the occasional mountain goat. And because you're above ground with no trees around, you can end up being a target for lightning because you're the one spot that sticks up above the rocks.  So getting below timberline was a sense of safety, even when you hear thunder. So TimberlineThunder to me is a threshold of relief and safety from danger. I love my Rockies, though, even in the most dangerous situations, because my Dad keeps me safe in the mountains He made. Ps40, TT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users