Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SVC Host Issues - SVC Process Not Tied to Anything

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigH1987

BigH1987

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

I've attached a screenshot of an SVC Host process that seems to be causing me issues from the process explorer.

The weird part about it is that no processes are really tied to this process, and my inital thoughts are that this is some kind of spyware or malware.

However, I've ran both Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware, both which actually found items but not directly tied to this process.

It's been a while since I've had any issues with my computer, I had some sort of Symantec infection a while back that I was able to get rid of with one of the aforementioned programs, but this one has really eluded me as it doesn't tie to anything. I'm able to make computer usage somewhat manageable by suspending the instances with the process explorer, but I know this isn't a permanent solution.

Does anyone have any ideas? Let me know if there's anything else I can provide that could help you guys help me. Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 09 April 2014 - 11:10 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

1) Specifically what issues is it causing or is your system experiencing?

2) Do you have an anti virus program installed and resident at all times?

#3 BigH1987

BigH1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

I apologize for the lack of details.

The SVCHost file is growing to close to 100% of my RAM.

I have not recently had my computer protect (I've fairly recently just started using it on the internet again) and it is really an at home computer that I use for school, work, and a few old PC games.

I figured the issue was some sort of spyware infection, but nothing has been found to solve the issue. I could try running a virus scan and seeing what happens.

A discovery I made is that this SVCHost process is actually tied to my standby and power-saving activity - if I suspend the process, my laptop will no longer enter standby mode when I close the lid.

Please let me know if there are any additional questions.

Thank you for your help.

#4 BigH1987

BigH1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Well, stupidity wins here, I downloaded Avast and it immediately began blocking malware from causing my system issues. How do I know if this will continue to be an issue or if Avast will kill the problem? I'm really surprised Avast recognized this so quickly andmy other system scanners did not find this issue.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of what I needed to do. Kind of banging my head against my desk right now.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware are not anti virus apps. You need an anti virus app installed and resident (Avast is fine). If you continue to have problems you might want to post in the malware forums on this site.

Mod Edit:  Moved topic to AII - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 April 2014 - 11:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users