Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will microsoft continue to host the patches and service packs for XP after 4/8?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 veerboa

veerboa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

Will microsoft continue to host the patches and service packs for XP after 4/8/2014? Would the automatic downloads work? Would we need to manually download them? I searched and could not find a direct answer. What happens if one would like to re-install the software after that date? thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

Hello veerboa,

Although the following seems to be addressed to Enterprise customers, all your questions are answered in the FAQ section toward the end.  It is the page linked to from Microsoft Security Essentials, running with the latest updates on an XP system:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx

In short, you can still install, activate and update XP installations, via Windows Update, even after 8 April 2014.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

This should cover most items unless you wish to read the topic at the head of XP Forum area.

Will microsoft continue to host the patches and service packs for XP after 4/8/2014? <- These will exist in the archives for a few more years, plus privately hosted samples as we all have saved samples in our private backups, to re-install if needed.

Would the automatic downloads work? <- There are no automatic downloads unless you have a Private Antivirus / Antimalware program that downloads. Nothing from Microsoft. Even Microsoft Security Essentials (M.S.E.) will no longer be supported.

Would we need to manually download them? <- You will manually download except for similar private items mentioned above.

What happens if one would like to re-install the software after that date? <- You can still install / re-install XP after the date.

#4 veerboa

veerboa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Hello M... and Noknojon.

I must thank you both for the clarification. I guess I can take a breather from trying to make sure and gather the updates. If you would not mind, I may ask you if anyone would be able to share their privately hosted samples or a saved sample of your private backups. You may PM me, if that is best. Thank you again.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

You can download all post XP SP3 updates as one file and stream them into a XP install disk using nlite. If your install CD is not sp3 you can also stream SP3 at the same time as the updates. Another option would be to get the computer up to date with all security patches and make a system image backup with software like Macrium free or Aoemi Backupper.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

You can download all post XP SP3 updates as one file and stream them into a XP install disk using nlite. If your install CD is not sp3 you can also stream SP3 at the same time as the updates. Another option would be to get the computer up to date with all security patches and make a system image backup with software like Macrium free or Aoemi Backupper.

Does all 7 links on the page need to be downloaded?

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Sorry, I lost track of this thread.

No, you do not. Those are just different hosting sites.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 April 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#8 veerboa

veerboa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

is there are difference between them or are they all the same?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

They are all the same file, only hosted on different sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users