Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Live CDs not working in laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

I found a virus called BitGuard in a folder in a temp folder on my old Packard Bell Easynote E6307 laptop with XP installed. The virus doesn't seem to have been installed, and neither the free version of AntiVir or Spybot S&D can find it, but the folder appears as a running process in Task Manager if I open it. I have also tried to delete it using Move On Boot, but it reports an error and says ''access is denied.''

What I am now trying to do is boot up the laptop using a live CD, and delete the folder manually. So far I have tried BitDefender, Knoppix 7.2 and Knoppix 6.7, and the result is always the same:

Part way through the loading process, everything just stops. Using Knoppix, it gets past the stage where a voice says ''initiating start up sequence,'' then the CD powers down and stops making noises, and the screen freezes and starts to turn white, although the text on it is still visible. The only way out of this that I have found, is to press the reset button.

I have also found that for some reason, removing the charger plug from the laptop makes the CD start up again, and it starts making the noises it makes when it's loading a live CD, but only for a second or two then it stops again.

There is a setting for APIC-IOAPIC Mode in the BIOS, which I haven't touched because I don't know what it is. Does that have anything to do with the CD drive settings?

Does anyone have any idea how I might get this laptop to boot from a live CD? As far as I can tell, the problem seems to relate to the CD drive, although it works perfectly well when Windows is loaded.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Problem solved. I used a Linux Puppy (never even heard of them until now) that I found recommended here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529531/how-to-create-a-linux-live-cd-on-an-old-laptop-os-xp-32-bits/?p=3331111

It succeeded where my other live CDs failed.

I would still be interested to know why my laptop wouldn't load the other CDs. I found out after attempting to do so that BitDefender requires 1GB of RAM and there is only 768MB, but I would have thought that would be plenty for the Knoppix CDs that I tried.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

You burned them as .ISO? Set pc to boot from DVD?

Linux can be a bit funny like that sometimes.

Glad you like puppy

found a virus called BitGuard in a folder in a temp folder on my old Packard Bell Easynote E6307 laptop with XP installed. The virus doesn't seem to have been installed, and neither the free version of AntiVir or Spybot S&D can find it, but the folder appears as a running process in Task Manager if I open it. I have also tried to delete it using Move On Boot, but it reports an error and says ''access is denied.''

As for this bit thats beyond my pay rate.

I suggest you go to Am I Infected section where somebody who knows what they are talking about can help you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

#4 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

You burned them as .ISO? Set pc to boot from DVD?

Linux can be a bit funny like that sometimes.

Glad you like puppy

found a virus called BitGuard in a folder in a temp folder on my old Packard Bell Easynote E6307 laptop with XP installed. The virus doesn't seem to have been installed, and neither the free version of AntiVir or Spybot S&D can find it, but the folder appears as a running process in Task Manager if I open it. I have also tried to delete it using Move On Boot, but it reports an error and says ''access is denied.''

As for this bit thats beyond my pay rate.

I suggest you go to Am I Infected section where somebody who knows what they are talking about can help you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

All of the CDs I tried that didn't work on this laptop, work just fine on my desktop pc. Yes the laptop was and is set to boot from CD/DVD as the first boot device. I even tried selecting CD/DVD for every boot device, but it didn't make any difference. The loading process began as normal like I said, but hung about halfway through, and refused to continue.

However that is not too great a concern, as Puppy works just fine. Since I installed it, I have hardly used Windows. This is a truly amazing little program. I am astounded at the amount of stuff it contains, considering how small it is. It runs this laptop way faster than XP, which is now loaded down with SP2, SP3, hundreds of updates and anti-virus software.

Thanks for the link. Although I haven't found any more signs of infection, I will look into that further as well.

Edited by Al1000, 12 April 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Some of these CD's may not be booting due to PAE requirements, requiring newer model CPU's to run. There are many early 2000-2005 models that lacks this function & that's why non-PAE ISO's of Puppy exist.

Normally there will be an error showing at time of attempted boot to show this, though it may not with some.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

Some of these CD's may not be booting due to PAE requirements, requiring newer model CPU's to run. There are many early 2000-2005 models that lacks this function & that's why non-PAE ISO's of Puppy exist.

Normally there will be an error showing at time of attempted boot to show this, though it may not with some.

Cat

I had never heard of PAE until now. That makes more sense than my theory regarding the RAM, as I would have thought 768MB would be enough for Knoppix.

Back when I upgraded my current desktop pc - with most everything except the CPU and one hard drive, I built a second pc using the components I removed, as all I had to buy was a CPU. The CPU I picked was a 3GHz Sempron, and I ended up giving that pc away as it was so much slower than my other one. On reflection though, it's a pity I never thought of Linux back then, otherwise I might have kept it. That has been my only other experience with Sempron processors, and the Sempron in this laptop is only 1.8GHz!

Edited by Al1000, 13 April 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

I had never heard of PAE until now.

It's been around, it's just that PAE/NX has been enforced only in recent years (from 2012 on). Beginning with Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 8 Release Preview (NX wasn't required for the Consumer Preview, teasing many would be Windows 8 upgraders), PAE is required for many LInux versions & both are required for Windows 8 forward.

Honestly, I don't know the "why" of the PAE enforcement on many LInux OS's, because many of the computer that runs it has 4GB RAM or less. It's just something that Canoncial (one of the major Linux corporations) decided to push. That being stated, I find it odd, at a time when Linux needs a push, to fall in line with MS on PAE enforcement. Linux Mint 13 LTS is one major exception & did include code for non-PAE users, it's one of the last "full" Linux based OS's that will run on such computers.

Congrats to Clem & the Mint team for making that happen, as MInt 13 is supported until April 2017.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:31 AM

As a point of interest, I have now discovered that PAE is included in the list of ''flags'' when I type:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users