Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Booster

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zestylemons

zestylemons

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

Good Evening All!

I downloaded 'Driver Booster' from cnet as it was highly rated by the editor to check that my machine had the latest drivers the lazy way.

It then did so and prompted me a required reboot - after which, at sign in I got a message saying my computer has had so many hardware changes my windows would need re activating in three days!! Then after finishing firing up I now have an icon in the system tray saying this copy of windows is not activated and a window saying in order to be properly licensed this copy of windows must be activated.

Old dell dimension E521 running xp with a wireless card added only.

Only ever use editor rated stuff on cnet like ccleaner and avg - proper gutted

Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

1.  Uninstall Driver Booster.

2.  Reactivate, following instructions provided by Windows.

Louis

#3 zestylemons

zestylemons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hi Louis

I uninstalled Driver booster but to activate windows I have to check if my machine can handle windows 7 and then pay! I just want my old genuine xp sp3 back

Before I installed driver booster I created my own restore point and I can't restore back to that point - no changes are made

Thanks

Chris

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

I'm not understanding your comments.

Why...would you "have to check if my machine can handle windows 7 and then pay!" ?

You posted in the XP forum so XP should be the current O/S requiring activation.  If you have anything other than XP and have no valid license for it...that's a violation of forum rules and the topic doesn't belong in the XP forum, IMO.

Louis

#5 zestylemons

zestylemons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

Hi Louis

If you read the rest of my last comment you will see I am running XP and wanted to restore my XP to its former glory so I am NOT violating any forum rules.

However after trying again to reactivate my windows xp by clicking on a different link I successfully reactivated my xp and I greatly appreciate the advice you gave. The other link I clicked on to reactivate my xp was clearly Microsoft's attempt to get me to upgrade hence the click here to check comparability and if so pay $170.

Many thanks for your advice! I got there in the end!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users