Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I install Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Amy0

Amy0

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

I thought I'd get some opinions on it. I use a laptop that I just got in December of last year and I'm not all that familiar with Windows 8 yet. Would I benefit from installing 8.1 or is it something that isn't all that necessary?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

Here's what Microsoft has to say.  Windows 8.1 brings back the Start button and gives you the option to boot straight to the desktop.  Those are the two features that most people go to Windows 8.1

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Annnnnnnnndddddd thats about ALL thats different from 8.0.

I have an 8.0 laptop and regularly set up 8.1 laptops and desktops for clients. I see no reason to upgrade, really. I'm savvy enough to adapt to not having a Start button.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

I install "Classic Shell" to get the old fashioned menu back. I also removed all of the apps, which come as default programs for common file types. It has a few new things like right click to mount an iso file, but not much different than Win8 (or Win7). I'd say if you have 8 already, then take the plunge to 8.1.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 07 April 2014 - 09:46 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

The "Update for Windows 8.1" or whatever it's called is supposed to be released today via Windows Update and I'm going to install it when I get home.  I'm using Start8 and will likely continue doing so, but there are enough cosmetic and under the hood changes to make this worthwhile, including a smaller footprint and faster boot times.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hopefully you won't have any issue...that's the main reason I'm holding off on 8.1, as I have a pre-installed 8.0 system with a factory recovery drive.

8 Reasons to hate Windows 8.1.

#7 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

Hopefully you won't have any issue...that's the main reason I'm holding off on 8.1, as I have a pre-installed 8.0 system with a factory recovery drive.

I've got a system image saved just in case I need to roll back, but I haven't had any issues on my hardware in the past and I'm not anticipating any now.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#8 len.moret

len.moret

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

Have no problems with windows 8.1 on an Acer with an I7.

Loved the startup speed wouldn't go back to 7.

Sorry no negative opinion here.

Sincerely,

Len

#9 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Got it installed on my desktop with absolutely no problems, but I'm sticking with Start8 for now.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

I've got a system image saved just in case I need to roll back, but I haven't had any issues on my hardware in the past and I'm not anticipating any now.

That's the smartest thing to have, is that system image, for starters because it's good practice.

As to 8.1, I have it on 2 notebooks, it installed perfectly on one, took 2 attempts on the other & it's still not what I'd call 100%. Maybe 90%. The 8.1 Update 1 didn't help that one much either. Whether to upgrade to 8.1 depends on the user. Some OEM's has better driver support than others, that has to be taken into consideration.

One thing that has to be considered, is that support for Windows 8 ends in October (or 24 months after the last SP was released, which is 8.1) & will require an upgrade to 8.1. See the attached MS Windows 8 Lifecycle.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows+8

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 CharlesT

CharlesT

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

I'm currently running window 8.1 update 1 so far so good  :thumbsup:

#12 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:37 AM

Windows 8.1 is great although it's not a major jump from Windows 8 so don't expect fireworks.

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#13 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

Yea install 8.1, its a much better when using mouse and keyboard and the new updates have made some nice changes

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Pre-Update versions of Windows 8.1 will no longer support patches

Microsoft is urging users running Windows 8.1 to update their systems soon, since the company plans to drop patch support for early versions of the operating system.

Redmond said that after May it would only issue updates for systems running the Windows 8.1 Update release and later. The move means that Windows 8.1 systems which have not installed the "Update" package will receive "not applicable" notifications when attempting to install future system updates.

"Since Microsoft wants to ensure that customers benefit from the best support and servicing experience and to coordinate and simplify servicing across both Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 RT and Windows 8.1, this update will be considered a new servicing/support baseline," the company said.

"What this means is those users who have elected to install updates manually will have 30 days to install Windows 8.1 Update on Windows 8.1 devices; after this 30-day window – and beginning with the May Patch Tuesday, Windows 8.1 user's devices without the update installed will no longer receive security updates."

#15 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Huh. Guess my 8.0 is going bye-bye as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users