Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi card troubles

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Madgaz182

Madgaz182

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Ok i just recently upgraded to 80meg down and 20 meg upload fibreoptic broadband... it runs fine on my iPad and iPhone on the wifi connection

iPad and iPhone and laptop get speed test readings of 45meg up and 17meg down on wifi

I connected my laptop to the modem with a cable and got a reading of 79meg down and 19meg up .. which is amazing ... only thing is i dont use my laptop i use my main pc for my video uploads hence why i got the bigger package

my pc with wifi card gets a reading of 40meg download and 1meg upload which is pathetic considering the ipad and iphone are on wireless and both achieve higher readings than my wifi on my pc

I dont have the option to connect permanently via cable either due to the awkwardness of my home ... but surely theres a way i can have faster upload over my wifi connection on my main pc without the need for cables ??

if anyone can help me please please do

many thanks Gaz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Hi

More information is needed. This may be a hardware limitation.

1. Make and model of wireless router

2. make and Model of the Wifi card in the computer.

3. how strong is the signal at the computer?

4. What is the URL for where You are performing the Speedtest?

Thank You

Roger

P.S. Just as a FYI I had to upgrade My hardware to get the full speed of the Internet via wireless.

This what I get now with the upgraded hardware. I just ran this and sometimes it is faster too. This is Via wireless so Wireless can do it. The problem is different versions of wireless have different maximum speeds

3424057609.png

Edited by rotor123, 07 April 2014 - 01:07 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Madgaz182

Madgaz182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

I am using a talk talk router g533 I think I'm not at home to check right now

My wifi card is sunview 322p N wifi card 300mbs

I hve used both bbmax and speedtest.net

Both showing very similar results

The signal strength is great I have tried my laptop connecting to wifi on the same router and connection and got maximum speed but my pc can't get those speeds the wifi card in my pc is pretty new only about 5 month old

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

I did a search on Google and all found under Sunview was Video items.

Are You sure about the WiFi card make and model?

Have You looked at the maker to see if they have newer drivers?

Has this computer always been slow on the Internet or is this something new?

As a next step I would try and substitute a USB wireless N namebrand and see what it gives for results.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Madgaz182

Madgaz182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

My pc is blazing fast when connecting via Ethernet cable .... And my other devices , laptop, ipad and iphone connect blazing fast over wifi , just my pc is slow over wifi for uploads

I checked the card name and it's

Sumvision SVW322P Wireless N 300Mbps PCI adapter

And I've updated the drivers on the weekend and still no better , my pc is pretty decent spec aswell only 8 month old

#6 Madgaz182

Madgaz182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

can anyone please assist with this 

ive tried connecting with ethenet cable and disabling the wifi card and still i get slow uploads

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

I haven't forgotten You, Please hold on

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

When you test the iPad, iPhone, and laptop on WiFi are they in the room/location as the desktop PC when you test it on WiFi?

I ask because distance from WiFi access point can effect WiFi throughput (aka speeds).

My pc is blazing fast when connecting via Ethernet cable .... And my other devices , laptop, ipad and iphone connect blazing fast over wifi , just my pc is slow over wifi for uploads

ive tried connecting with ethenet cable and disabling the wifi card and still i get slow uploads

Is the desktop PC slow or fast with a ethernet connection? At first, you seemed to say it was blazing fast but then said it was slow. Kind of need to know so that we know if we are just dealing with a WiFi issue or maybe with some overall networking issue.

#9 Madgaz182

Madgaz182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

Ok all my wireless devices ie ipad iphone and laptop all run at great speeds upload and download across wireless connection
Around about
60mb download
19mb upload

My laptop when connected via Ethernet runs at
79mb download
20mb upload

These are all in the same room as my main pc ... Which is about 20 feet away from the router

Only until yesterday had I tried connecting my pc through wireless and got 60mb download and 1.5mb upload

I was certain connecting via Ethernet would change that but I was wrong the speeds didn't change even when running on Ethernet

The only major two changes I can think of that I've done recently is moving home and installing a new ssd

Before moving home the speeds via Ethernet were full speed on my main pc , now in my new home it can't achieve anywhere close to that but all my other devices can

Which leads me to think it's something that's happened during transit or installing new ssd

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Thank You smax13

Networks have always been a weak point for me.

I had one stray thought.

One question in two parts. Is it a new install on the SSD or did You clone the windows and do You have the old boot drive still able to boot, to boot off of for testing.

That would eliminate the SSD or point to it as the cause. Or if a new install point to the Install.

Other than that I'm out of ideas for the moment.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

Which leads me to think it's something that's happened during transit or installing new ssd

That is good trouble shooting thinking in my opinion...find "variables" that changed between the last time things worked well and now!

Related to the transit, have you checked to make sure the WiFi card is fully/properly seated in the PCI slot? Made sure none of the wires connecting the antennas to the card were damaged or the antennas themselves?

I ask because from this picture of you card, there are a couple of wires that seem potentially vulnerable:

http://www.sumvision.com.cn/product_details.aspx?pid=2115

Thank You smax13
Networks have always been a weak point for me.

I had one stray thought.
One question in two parts. Is it a new install on the SSD or did You clone the windows and do You have the old boot drive still able to boot, to boot off of for testing.
That would eliminate the SSD or point to it as the cause. Or if a new install point to the Install.

Other than that I'm out of ideas for the moment.
Good Luck
Roger

Good thought.

I also wonder if it is possible that the SSD somehow might be throwing off some interference. I admit it is not likely, but you never know. Might be worth putting the old drive back in (if possible) or getting a new regular spinning drive (that can then be used for other purposes down the road such as backups) to clone to and the put in place of the SSD temporarily to see if things change.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

I suggest we try to rule out software related issues by booting to a linux distro, something like Mint or Ubuntu. Download and burn to a disc then boot to the disc: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

In some rare cases your hardware may not be fully supported. If it is slow in both windows and linux, my guess would be hardware related issue. If it is full speed in linux and slow in windows, windows or the driver in use in windows may be the problem.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

Sometimes the wifi radio can get stuck and do all kinds of crazy's. I would start with a fast power cycle of the router. Just unplug and plug it back in fast. It should retain it's settings.

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

First can we see a speedtest from your pc on the Ethernet, Second I don't think any errors on your SSD would effect the performance of your internet the amount of data stored or transferred during the speed test would be stored in your RAM (unless its a REALLY old computer) How speedtest.net works. The problem is most likely becuase of your Network connections, Is your Ethernet on your PC and Laptop both gigiabit or 10/100? You wireless is it set to "N" only with WPA2 AES encryption? What Channel are you using on your router? Have you Tested the connections at the same time of day IE:Ran test on your Iphone, then run the test on your computer?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users