Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error mess, can't find ie4uinit, browser looks different; baffled!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 valleykeys

valleykeys

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Opera looks funny all of a sudden, and so does FF.  I don't do much unusual on the laptop but on this day I did.  I opened an email account using my old version of Opera. 

Right after that, the Opera toolbar looked a little different, with a second, smaller min/max/x in the upper right, just below the normal one. Some of the Opera icons were gone and could not be re-selected and put where they were.  The "File Edit View..." thing on the left is in a highlight that wasn't there before.  And when I tried to remove and then bring back Opera, I got this error message saying that ie4uinit.exe can't be found.  Yet I saw it right there in Sys 32 where it belongs.

Read stuff here and there, leading me to suspect that starting an Opera mail account with an old version (12) may have corrupted this file.  Tried to copy it from another laptop and stick it in there instead, well, that didn't go over with Trusted Installer.  Tried restoring to an earlier date, that didn't work.

Firefox doesn't look quite like it did before, either.

Norton says nothing's wrong. Opera and FF do function...they just don't look like they should.

As usual, when I read about computer problems, I get stuck on the part about cleaning the registry.  I still don't know what the heck that is, never mind how to clean it.

It's an HP with Windows 8, 64-bit. 

Don't know what the problem is or if it's bigger than just the look of two browsers.

Any wisdom appreciated.

PS: If I could get it to turn on, I'd still be using my xp. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Welcome to the forums.

What this may be is a minor browser hijack. It may have just changed some stuff. If this is what it is, then Norton probably did not detect it because most browser hijacks are classified as PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Program). Some anti-virus don't think that these are a big deal.

It might also be just a bug in Opera.

As far as the registry goes, I would not recommend cleaning the registry to any computer beginners without the supervision of someone experienced.

Try using some other browsers (IE, Chrome, etc.) and see if anything weird is happening there, either. Also, it has been a few days since this post, so how is everything going now? Are you still experiencing these problems? Have they gotten better or worse?

#3 valleykeys

valleykeys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

Well, it seems to be fixed but I wish I knew how I fixed it!  The irregularity of appearance of the browser toolbar -- it was in Opera and FF both.  I did several uninstalls and reinstalls.  (Incidentally, I use old versions of both browsers.)  Several restarts as well.  The first few times didn't affect the irregularity.  Copying the same file from another laptop of the same kind, and the file (ie4uinit) being the same created date too, had no effect.  I'd heard somewhere that Windows 8 has some delightful self-healing properties and perhaps updates could fix what is found to need fixing, so I went to my updates settings.  I have them all turned off (that is, non-automatic) due to the initial trauma of an endless loop when configuring, the day I bought this laptop.  Never want to go through that again!  and that was something to do with an indigestible Windows 8 update.  So I am a little phobic about updates and anyway my behavior on the pc is pretty provincial, I don't visit strange places :)  But the updates were downloaded, reluctantly. I still haven't worked up the nerve to install them.  That is ALL I did since the browser irregularity happened.  And yet, yesterday I opened the Opera browser and it was back to normal, much as if some friendly update had actually come to life and to the rescue. Firefox is also behaving as if the whole incident never happened. Other minor oddities (like a persistent drop-down asking how to open stuff for which I already had defaults selected) have also vanished.  I'd still love to know how things went wrong, exactly, and what exactly made them right again.  Nevertheless, Bones, your guess is better than any of mine.  Thank you! 

#4 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Hehehe... I don't like Windows 8, but it is possible that it has an "auto-repair" funciton that I've never heard of :). As for how things went wrong, I don't have a clue. But since they seemed to self-correct, it was probably just a glitch in the browsers.

Try to keep an eye on it for a few days, and see if this springs up again. It probably won't, but its better to be safe than sorry, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users