Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing new C drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 missmuffy

missmuffy

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

Hello, My C drive is full to bursting and has been for a very long time and is a very very old hard drive. I want to rip it out, buy a new copy of windows and completly start fresh. I have an external to back up my stuff onto but no secondary hard drive. I was hoping somebody could tell me some info as to if this is a good idea, if it is a relativly easy job and if all I literall have to do is replace said hard drive and boot from my new copy of windows.... Thanks for helping :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

Yes it is that easy. But your mention of "very very long old hard drive" worries me, as it also means your hardware is very very old too.

You should keep in mind a few things in general:

1. Power supply - whether your older PSU (power supply unit) is good enough for newer faster hard disk?

2. Before buying hard disk, check types of hard disks supported by your motherboard. EIDE or SATA and which version.

3. Which version of Windows you are going to buy? Whether the new version would run on older hardware?

4. Do not dump or format older hard disk soon after installing new hard disk, there may be useful data on it.

You can post your Speccy snapshot using this guide : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

BleepingCommunity members may help you make the decision and show you more instructions using the information in Speccy snapshot.

#3 missmuffy

missmuffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

the hard drive is the only origonal part of my pc.... and the case. The rest of the stuff in there is at most 4 years old.

The process seemed deceptivly easy however haha.

My poor hard drive is clogged with several reinstalls of windows and stuff buried so deep I can;t even find it. I just need a total fresh start so it runs better (and runs elder scrolls online, but thats a whole separate problem I'm having *fist shake*)

I may indeed post my speccy specs anyway, I'll never pass up on extra advice! Do i just post it here?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

4 years old hardware is not so old. I still use my PC that I bought in 2008 with Windows 7 installed.

Yes, you can post the link to Speccy snapshot here.

#5 missmuffy

missmuffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sobsnGf7UKW0P5Tqt1p2MmW

there we go. Now if somebody would also be so kind as to fix ESO and make it run for me, that'd be great :D

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Okay, so your motherboard supports SATA II. You can get any SATA II, 3.5 inch hard disk. Your hardware can handle everything for Windows 7 and 8. So you are good to go.

As far as ESO system requirements page says, the only thing you need for your system is 60GB free hard disk space. So get a larger hard disk like 500+ GB and you would be ready to go.

#7 missmuffy

missmuffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:31 AM

I have an external drive I've stuck the game on. Not ideal but you can see my problem hehe.

would a nice fresh install on a clean hard drive actually improve performance any?

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

Yes, your old drive is only 40GB PATA drive, so you would see sure performance improvement.

But since I have never played ESO, I think you are better off asking your game specific question at ESO forums.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:29 AM

I want to rip it out, buy a new copy of windows and completly start fresh

If I read that speccy right you already have Win7 Home premium If its a legit copy you do not need to buy Windows again. Just use the key you already have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users