Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use EasyBCD or better NOT?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shane8305

shane8305

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

Hi Guys!   It's my first time here, so please be gentle with me. Thank you.

Here is my dilemma I need you help with:

I have 3 separate HDD I installed WinXP, Win7 x32 and Win7 x64 on respectively.

Already spent many hrs reading about how great the EasyBCD is, even tried on different PS

and run in a bit of a problem hence my help plea here.

What appears to me is BCD is an application you "merry for life" and cannot "divorce"

when you change your mind, want to substitute or re-use HDD in different system  or just want to.

Paranoia? - Perhaps, but as they say - better safe than sorry.

Since BCD controls MBR and PBRs - it appears quite possible one may end up with dead metal box,

specially when there is a problem with HDD containing BCD installation or a BCD itself becoming corrupted. 

How would you restore/repair/reinstall any of those OS's if one of them messes up. Not to mention

seeing BSOD on a very start up.

Logically, F11 option, perhaps not so convenient or "pretty" offers greater control and peace of mind.

Every drive is a separate, self contained and bootable.

After all you can set in BIOS your mostly used HDD as a drive 1, and shorten waiting time to boot automatically,

so you would not need to use F11 every time.   Am I  Correct?

I am trying hard to see some undisputable advantage of BCD besides saving some storage space (HDD).

I sure would appreciate your opinion and experience based comments. Any other suggestions?

TIA

Edited by shane8305, 07 April 2014 - 06:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

Personally, I use the boot menu built into the BIOS rather than either Windows boot menu or something like EasyBCD for multibooting. It makes it a TON easier if I even want to remove an OS/drive from my system. Of course, to do this, I must disconnect every hard drive when I add a new hard drive and install Windows on that hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users