Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Toshiba laptop would not boot from CD no matter what!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dess71

dess71

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

The Laptop is Tshiba satellite A105 S2719
I wanted to do a fresh installation of windows 7 and started the process of booting from CD and installed halfway through the process then after the restart of the system it notified me that it does not support 64 bit windows. My mistake was selecting 64 bit instead of 86 or something. I know my laptop is older and thought 86 is too much and selected 64, not knowing the 64 basically is 32 bit!

Then I bought Win XP cd and tried to go through the process again. It went fine until restart and after restart, nothing happens. I installed Windows Several times, (mine and others) and I know after the first portion of DOS installation, it restarts and continues. Now Nothing is going on - just a slightly dim screen.

I changed the boot sequence and make it to boot from CD but no matter what, the system ignores the setting and starts from hard disk. Now even the previous WIn 7 and Win xp partial installations went on only after I try to boot from CD some 100 times. It seems the CD drive is faulty but whn I remove the hard disk and try to boot from CD it successfully boots from CD immediately.

What can be wrong with my system? I tried several things. even connecting hard drive externally with an adaptor/enclosure. the system tells me that I can not use that drive bla bla. Ok I also tried Flop boot manager. It goes some distance and after detecting the flash drive freezes.

Then I said why not clone the operating system on the hard drive and fix this thing, I culd nt find an appication that copies only the OS (Operating System) Now it seems that I am out of options. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 April 2014 - 08:27 AM.
moved from BleepingComputer Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dess71

dess71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

I couldn't clone the whole of hard drive (another laptop's) due to space limitation. I can if I format it but it has a number of files important.

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

do you have a flash drive 4gb or more? if yes you could consider to create a bootable USB and if you could install windows with an USB than maybe CD/DVD drive on that laptop have some problem if you still stuck with installation please tell on which part of installation that stuck

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 dess71

dess71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

It doesn't support USB boot. I used Plop boot manager but after trying to boot from USB, everything freezes. I fund similar thread here but no solution there. The only thing I may try is cloning the operating system from another laptop. To do that there is no enough space. I have to format the hard disk of faulty boot laptop. I have important files in there and culdn't do that.

The CD is not faulty because when I remove the hard disk and when I restart, it boots from CD. But when the hard disk is inside, it ignores all the other devices and boots from hard disk even if I already set the boot sequence from CD.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

I've experienced this problem before.  Try tapping a key every few seconds while booting the CD, (e.g. the space bar).  It worked for me.

#6 dess71

dess71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Agouti but it has not worked for me like that.

This is how it worked for me. After long time of trial and error, after 7 days it worked for me like this:

1. restart Laptop

2. press F2 key

some message saying (to press F1 key... ) appears.

3. Press CTRL + ALT + Delete

// ** Before all these steps you should make CD the first booting device in the bios.

To get into BIOS press F2 at restart and it asks you to press F1 to get into BIOS.

Press F1 and Then you can change the boot sequence. There is a guide in the bottom or right side

of the screen. Also for different types of laptops, the steps are different. Just read the message 

on the screen when the laptop retarts//

Then when  the system restarts it asks to press any key when ready.

I press any key and it tells me that it is starting from CD.

Even with this step it sometimes boots from hard disk but at least I was relieved

to get it to work with this and reinstall windows (Win7) again. Previously it was Win XP.

and it is working fine now.

Hope this helps someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users