Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown program creating fake dead pixel?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

This is strange. I should have taken a screenshot or something but the problem is pretty easy to picture. Although I only say 'dead' pixel in the title because that is more commonly known than the name 'stuck pixel' which is more accurate to what I saw.

I was in the middle of typing in a forum and suddenly noticed a tiny red dot, a pixel sized dot, sitting just right of center on my computer screen. My initial reaction was as to be expected. I thought: "Well oh damn, my laptop monitor is about to start dying bit by bit. Best put some seizure-inducing colors on my screen to temporarily fix the issue."

Of course, I panicked a bit when it didn't work.

Out of frustration I hovered my mouse under the spot... except it wasn't under it. Whatever is there is under my mouse but over everything else. That simply cannot be a stuck pixel. I brought up the task manager, wondering if there would be anything I could get out of it, but I hardly have a good memory of what programs run on my system, so I was just lost there. Also the task manager layered over it as well.

I have run various virus/malware scans since then and come up with nothing. Googling stuff like "background program causing red pixel" gives me nothing but tutorials for lost/dead pixels. I'm pretty much lost here. Ultimately though, it went away when I restarted and I haven't seen it again.

However that still leaves me unsettled that I have no clue what that was. Does anyone here know what I saw? Anyway of finding out if I ever see it again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:32 AM

if that was RED, I usually go to BIOS Setup as that BIOS Setup usually have Blue color so I could determine that was Hardware / Software failure :wink:
but usually I plug it to another Monitor to see that Dead Pixel still appear on screen or not because this Methode could me to analyze does it was LCD Panel or Flexible Cable or VGA Chip on Mainboard

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:49 AM

I'm sorry but I don't think you understood my post. I'm saying that the dead pixel is not real, some program is creating a random red pixel on my screen. It vanishes when I move my cursor or task manager over it, but it layers over other programs.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:02 AM

I do understand about what your problem :wink:

that why I firstly ask you to go BIOS setup or attached it another monitor just to test does it was Hardware Failure or not as it will easy to do before playing arround in Windows, hope you understand about this :wink:

#5 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:49 AM

No you're still not getting me.

It is not hardware failure. I know this to be a fact because my cursor hides it. Thus it cannot be hardware related.

It is not currently visible and has not been for a while now, but I've seen it several times over the past few months, not frequently.

Restarting my computer gets rid of it. It disappears some time while the computer is closing background programs, just before shutdown.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

just like I say, its better to do that test that I told before for saving time, I have seen and fix problem like your dozen of times so please do that as in my place its was first methode for checking problem like yours, just attach to another monitor when your problem happen :wink:

if passed first methode than we could move to another methode :smash:

#7 jwsl1200mk2

jwsl1200mk2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:27 PM

Was there ever a resolution to this other than restarting the computer?

I have the same exact issue except my "dead/ghost" pixel is black...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users